Share | 

Buying Walnut Oil

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HT

PostSubject: Buying Walnut Oil   Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Jackson's art sell Robertson's walnut oil at £13.95 for 250ml

Tescos sells walnut oil for culinary use at £1.52 for 250ml

Any particular reason not to just buy from a supermarket rather than an art supplies store?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:30 pm

The supermarket walnut oils is just the same.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
HT

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks very much, Judy. I'll be saving myself some money there.

Helen
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm

judyfilarecki wrote:
The supermarket walnut oils is just the same.
Judy

I just bought some La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil, 250 ml for $8.90. So far it seems to work just the same as M.Graham's Walnut Oil.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:05 am

I've never used roasted walnut oil or just never noticed that they were roasted. How long have you used it? I'll have to see if my Graham specifies that it is roasted.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 am

judyfilarecki wrote:
I've never used roasted walnut oil or just never noticed that they were roasted. How long have you used it? I'll have to see if my Graham specifies that it is roasted.

Roasted was the only type that they had at the super market. I've been going to try walnut oil for a long time, so this weekend I bought a can. Don't know about Graham.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 am

I looked on the Graham oil bottle and it says "Pure, alkali-refined oil pressed from American walnuts. Extends oil color for increased flow. Non-yellowing-Slow drying." I'm concerned about increased yellowing with a roasted oil. I'll have to check on the oils again in the supermarket. I think what I have seen are all pressed oils. I'll get back to you.

Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Judy-since the walnut oil that I found was in a food store, maybe the 'roasting' is just to keep the oil from going rancid-for cooking purposes. The roasting may or may not have any effect when using for painting.
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm

judyfilarecki wrote:
I looked on the Graham oil bottle and it says "Pure, alkali-refined oil pressed from American walnuts. Extends oil color for increased flow. Non-yellowing-Slow drying." I'm concerned about increased yellowing with a roasted oil. I'll have to check on the oils again in the supermarket. I think what I have seen are all pressed oils. I'll get back to you.

Wikipedia says that the alkali-refining process stops the walnut oil from going rancid.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Let us know how it works for you over time. Yellowing usually doesn't start showing up for maybe a year. It is more noticeable in whites and blues so that might be something to keep in mind.

Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:26 pm

judyfilarecki wrote:
Let us know how it works for you over time. Yellowing usually doesn't start showing up for maybe a year. It is more noticeable in whites and blues so that might be something to keep in mind.

Will do! :-)
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Improv wrote:
judyfilarecki wrote:

Will do! :-)

BTW-for every 1" ribbon of WN Artisan paint, I use 1-2 drops of walnut oil.
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I got this answer on the AMIEN web site:

http://www.amien.org/forums/showthread.php?3644-Roasted-Walnut-Oil

from George O'Hanlon of Natural Pigments:

"Roasted walnut oil is made from walnut kernels (seeds of the stone fruit) that have been roasted in cast iron kettles before they are expeller pressed and filtered. It is unknown how this may affect the performance of the oil as a paint binder. "

So I guess I'll paint some Artisan white with some Roasted Walnut Oil and leave it for a few months. Will try and remember to report back with my findings.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the input. Smile

Back to top Go down
mpernack

Location Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Food grade oils have impurities in them which can affect the paint in a negative ways many, many years down the road. They may not have the proper PH balance, or there could be other stuff in the oil. However it does not mean it is not safe for human comsumpsion.

The benefit of walnut oil (also poppyseed oil and safflower oil) is that is is non yellowing as opposed to linseed oil. Over time they do however become brittle and are more proned to cracking (and in worse case, flaking off) as opposed to Linseed. Linseed is more flexable and has more give, but it does yellow much more. There is a debate in the art community as to which is better, Safflower or linseed. There is no right or wrong anwser. I know Daniel Smith makes their traditonal oil with a modified Linseed Oil while most of the other brands use Safflower Oil. Safflower Oil is by far the most popular by manufacturers and it tends to be less brittle than walnut or poppyseed and yellows very little.

Walnut oil so has a self life, and they add things to it for artists to keep it from going bad. Walnut Oil is also the slowest drying oil on the market as I understand it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying Walnut Oil   

Back to top Go down

Buying Walnut Oil
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1