A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
rboyce

Location Location : Chicago Area

PostSubject: Using walnut oil may have been a mistake.   Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 pm

I use very little water and it's mostly on the first layer when I'm still blocking in the painting. Even when I'm using the Artisan thinner, it's only one or two drops at a time. I can avoid water
in the future, but how do I rescue this painting that I've been working on for several weeks?

I'm also confused about varnishing. I thought the only time you would use varnish is to protect the painting after it's dried for at least six months. How could I varnish over wet paint? That
doesn't seem right.

Rich
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Fri May 09, 2014 7:03 pm

You are correct. You do not varnish for at least 6 months, longer if using thick paint application. I have never seen a varnish that you can use sooner, but maybe Faisal has since he mentioned it.

As far as rescuing the painting, we had members who talked about scraping of areas that are a problem. They have also sanded areas if the paint is very dry. I've never tried the sanding except when I was trying to re-use a canvas for a different painting to get rid of brush marks. Sorry if there was an easier way.

Have you asked the teacher if he/she has any suggestions about rescuing it.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
rboyce

Location Location : Chicago Area

PostSubject: Using walnut oil may have been a mistake.   Sat May 10, 2014 12:36 pm

After reading various comments under "How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?", I think I've figured out what happened. During the last half hour of class, I decided to repaint a horizontal area of sky. I had to mix quite a bit of paint, and kept using more walnut oil to extend it. I was in a hurry and got a little carried away, using much more medium than I normally would. Earlier that morning, I used walnut oil in some other areas and those areas don't seem to be a problem--just this one horizontal band.

After several days since class, I think the problem area is beginning to dry a little bit. I'll leave it alone and see how it looks by class time next Tuesday. My teacher is very good and has over 20 years of painting experience. She hasn't really worked with anything but water re water soluble oils, but she is very good at solving problems and I will definitely ask her about this situation. I have a feeling I may have to wipe or scrape off some of the paint before proceeding, but I'll see what she recommends.

Thank you very much for your help in dealing with this problem. I really appreciate being able to participate in this forum.

Rich
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Sat May 10, 2014 2:36 pm

HI Rich,

I'm glad you have probably identified the problem. I was going to ask if you used a lot of oil. That would make sense. I have always used walnut oil but very sparingly and never had a problem. Hope you are able to salvage the painting. See you around the forum.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Mon May 12, 2014 11:14 pm

The Varnish that can be used early (i.e. when it is dry to the touch only) is made by the same people who make Gamsol. So do check them out.

Thanks

Faisal

Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Tue May 13, 2014 6:23 am

ftariqtx wrote:
The Varnish that can be used early (i.e. when it is dry to the touch only) is made by the same people who make Gamsol. So do check them out.

Thanks

Faisal

It's called retouch varnish and there are several brands. It's a dilute version of regular varnish.
Back to top Go down
gomme

Location Location : Montreal Quebec

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi everybody
I bought yesterday Holbein Duo paints, I think it is very good WSO.
I am a beginner, with WSO, and with painting !
I tried a first layer with Artisan thinner yesterday, and I was very happy with the paints.
Today I tried a second layer with a mix of Artisan thinner and Holbein WS linseed oil, it was horribly sticky, what is wrong ? I tried only with Holbein WS linseed oil, and my paint was still so sticky ! Did I miss something ? Is the problem the Holbein WD oil ? The Artisan WS linseed oil would it be better ? What is wrong with what I did ?
Judy you say you use walnut oil.
Are you still able to clean your brush with water with walnut oil ?

I am sorry for my bad english, I am french, and I am sorry if I ask stupid questions. But I was so happy to find WSO ! As I love oil, but not my asthma !

Thanks !
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am

No questions are stupid. Please don't hesitate to ask. I responded in your introduction post but I will put a copy here for you.

The walnut oil still washes up with soap and water. I use it because of my allergy to the linseed oil. I am also very allergic to the fast drying alkyd mediums so you might want to keep that in mind. Also when using the oils added to the paints, use very small amounts. Too much will make it sticky.

Quote :
You don't use the two together. The early layers are just the Artisan thinner, progressing to just the paint and then the linseed oil mixed with the paint. The thinner is to be use only on the early layers because it makes the paint leaner while making it more fluid. Glazing of later layers would have to be fatter so the paint would be made more fluid by adding walnut oil or other oils.

if you are not familiar with the fat over lean rule, you might want to take alook at this article I wrote for Squidoo. It covers a lot of info on using WSO.

http://www.squidoo.com/oil-painting-techniques  using Water Soluble Oils.

You also may want to take a look at this and other demonstrations here on the forum.

http://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t654-paint-thinner-and-glazing-techniques

Back to top Go down
gomme

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks a lot Judy
Dominique
Back to top Go down
gomme

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Edit : Judy your article is very very interesting, I cannot wait to test all those tips !
Ah, and your paintings are wonderful !
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 am

Dominique, try using only the Walnut medium…. just a teeny tiny… you will have to experiment and DO NOT use water at all during painting… that will make it gummy… the only way to avoid gumminess is to not use water during the painting at all… just use it for washing…

Back to top Go down
brushstrokebliss

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:25 am

I see we are revisiting mediums again. Finally enjoying painting again. In the beginning, it was the mediums that caused me all the problems. I find that the paints often have compatibility issues so I stay with my brands of choice - Holbein Duo mostly, some Cobra colors and the occasional in a pinch Lukas Berlin. I stay away from anything student grade as I want full pigment. It's easier to get better results and there are more pure toned pigment paints in the artist's line for easier mixing of colors.

Although I do not use much medium at all any more, for the final stages, I may use some to glaze or need to thin a paint for fine details. I use MGraham Walnut Oil Alkyd. Someone told me to oil out a painting once for easier blending in sky and water and I did that. I found that even though I used very little oil and carefully wiped the excess off, drippings appeared along the way, which was a disaster. I do not oil out anymore but will repaint an area if I have to blend into it. The whole deal for me in oils is anything is fixable so don't stress, like I did with acrylics. It's relax and enjoy it.

I have tried other mediums and unfortunately I seem to be really allergic to all the rest. The Holbein smells bad and the Cobra works the first time and after that it gets sticky. W/N is not compatible in my opinion with my brands. The MGraham regular Walnut Oil or the one with the added alkyd in it are the only ones I use (Janet gave a good tip of mixing half water half linseed, but I like the Walnut oil based mediums better.) No smell but I still wash my hands well and often if I use them.

Wishing you all Happy Painting, bliss
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 am

Glad to see you again. I'm with you on the walnut oil, but, unfortunately, the walnut alkyd triggers my asthma and so I only use it outside and then be sure it is in a separate, closed room to dry.
Judy

Back to top Go down
Paul32205

Location Location : North Florida

PostSubject: GESSO LIQUITEX works great paint wet. Colors will blend and mix if you want them too.   Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Callie wrote:
As water soluble oils have become more common, so have various oils and mediums for them. One can now find ws thinner, stand oil, safflower and linseed oils, alkyds (quick-dry), impasto gel, glazing medium and varnishes.
Let's compare painting methods - what types of mediums do you use, what brands do you like?

Share your experience and suggestions, or ask a question!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:48 am

Welcome to the forum, Paul.
This is interesting. Are you using a clear gesso so it doesn't alter the color? Also, the gesso is usually an acrylic and it has always been my understanding that you don't mix an acrylic into water-soluble oils but you can paint over dry ones. do you get any cracking on the paint once it dries? I'll have to experiment with this. Thank you for your input.

Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Holbein DUO's claim that you can mix their water mixable oils with Acrylics with no problems, but I've never cared to try it. I guess it would be considered a mixed medium painting. None of the other water mixable oils have made this claim, so I definitely wouldn't try it with anything but Holbein DUO's. I hope this works out for you. Happy painting!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:12 am

Paul, what brands of WS Oils are you using?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   

Back to top Go down

What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3