A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 pm

I feel as if I use a lot of the ws linseed oil when I paint as I tend to do a lot of glazing (because I keep messing up and changing things or end up having to put the painting aside for a few days.

Is there such a thing as using too much?
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:54 am

How much lindseed oil are you using?

Too much is a quantity that makes it impossible to get the effect you want.

As an example, I use an eyedropper and one drop for every 1" or so of paint out of the tube.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Some people say to add no more than 20% medium and some say to add no more than 30% medium. Try to keep it as low as you can, and still be able to glaze with it. If you are letting your painting dry to the touch before adding another layer, then you don't really need to keep adding more oil on each layer. You can add the same amount of oil, because your bottom layer will be dryer already. At least that's what I've been told. Good luck and happy painting.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:46 am

Thanks to both of you. I don't know how much I've been adding but it felt like a lot.

Thanks, Crystal. I was thinking that I needed to add more and more with each layer, dry or not.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:52 am

I used to use 1 drop using a toothpick for every one inch... but now that I use clove oil. I don't have to use any other medium most of the time. However, whenever I feel the need I keep the walnut oil handly and dip my brush, barely the tip and mix it with a small portion of the paint and use it...

Don't go with more and more, it will become very hard to use... i think you can stay with "equal" to the amount that is in the layer below... (and more is fine as long as it can be handled properly)

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm like Faisal. I only use a tiny dab on the tip of my brush, test to see how thinly I can spread it as a glaze, and add a tad more if it needs it. It's like a recipe..a pinch here and a tad there.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 am

Thanks everyone, your answers have helped a lot.
Back to top Go down
mpernack

Location Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 pm

I personally do not think there is a thing as too much. The down side is the more oil you have the slower it takes to dry. Use a alkyd medium or driers to get things to dry faster.

Basically professional paints use only binder and pigment all you are doing is increasing the amount of binder.

Personally I only use a little bit on the end of my brush because I like my paint thicker.

I will say when I do my color fields which are largeĀ in size, I use acrylics. I use tons of medium specifically Golden's Glazing medium. I use it 1 part paint 10 parts medium. The more medium you use the more transparent the color will be. Same can be said of traditional oils or WSOs.

Be carefull when thinning down with water (or in the case of traditional oils, solvents)because it can actually break down the bonds that hold the paint together causing the paint to not stick to the substrait. Using medium does break down the bonds, just make sure you mix it good cause the pigment may not be evenly distributed, that why things may look streaky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?   

Back to top Go down

How much linseed/walnut oil is too much?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1