Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas Empty
PostSubject: Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas   Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I finally finished (I think - will still let it marinate a while) the second Tiare flower. I used much the same colors with this as the other one but used a different reference photo. C&C always appreciated.

Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas Tiaref11

Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas Tiaref12

Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas Tiaref13

Oh, a quick comment - my husband thought it odd that I had wrapped the petals around the canvas at the bottom. I purposely did this as when the canvas is hanging on a wall, the bottom will show - most people won't be tall enough to see the top of the canvas if it hangs at average eye level.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas   Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm

I always paint the bottom too because frequently mine are hung on high walls since so many houses out here have vaulted ceiling.

One comment on the painting. The flower feels a little flat, especially since it is wrapped around the canvas. Any chance of slightly darkening the pedals closer to the center so they feel like they recede a little bit. The other thought is to shadow behind the center elements to give it a feeling of being tilted back. Right now the values of all the pedals are pretty even.

Hope that helps.

Judy
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas   Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:05 pm

I totally agree with you about the flatness of the painting, Judy, and am working on it more. The ref photo is sort of blown out in places so I've been looking at other flower photos to get a better feel for shading. I had it with more contrast but it lost that "delicate flower" look so I lightened the petals in places. I'm coming to hate painting white objects!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas   Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 pm

You get this one done, and then you'll be ready to move on to color. White is a very difficult thing to work with. I'm sure you'll get it to work, though.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas   Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks for the encouragement - I need it right now! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas   Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas Empty

Back to top Go down

Tiare Flower 2 on Gallery Wrapped Canvas
Page 1 of 1