HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Figure studies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Figure studies   Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:54 am

Here are a few more figure studies I painted yesterday. Two paintings are 6" x 12" and the other is 16" x 20".
The small paintings are 10 minute studies, and the larger one is a 20 minute study.
Like last time, I applied a thin background wash (3 colours: Artisan Titanium white, Cad red, Fr Ultramarine Blue, blended together) to the canvas paper or canvas with a big brush a week ahead of the actual painting session. I added quick dry medium to the paint, plus lots of thinner.
The paint strokes in the figure suffer from my haste to apply colour, but it is still a worthwhile exercise.

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 pm

It amazes me how you can do these so quickly and make them look like real people. Have you ever considered doing your background washes with acrylics and then using the WSO's for the actual painting. As long as you do them a day a head or several hours ahead, it works great. This is an instance when I apply that thin layer of oil over the acrylic unless you are using a dry brush technique which it appears you are doing.

My assignment this week is to do an abstract self-portrait. Maybe if I try your technique of doing in a very limited time frame.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Judy
Thanks for your comments. My background is WSO, diluted with thinner, and applied very quickly and haphazardly with a big brush. It dries quickly, as I have added quick drying medium to the mix. Maybe a day or two to dry. Then I paint the figure with full strength paint, mixed straight from the tube with a touch of medium to make it faster to apply. It is still a bit dry. but not the intention, I just need more medium I guess.

The seated figure is painted on a recycled stretched canvas, and you can see the white of the previous painting poking through. Probably not the safest route to take... hopefully I will not see cracking.

It would be interesting to use acrylic for the background, as it would dry even quicker.

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:54 pm

These are really good. I can't imagine doing a very good painting in the amount of time they give you. I've noticed that there is a live figure study group in my area, but it is a 2 hour study with occasional breaks. I'm not ready for that yet, but I think you could really put together a nice painting in that length of time. Great job.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:21 pm

These are very beautiful. These are semi-abstract and very artful in there own way. As usual very confident bold strokes and no signs of hesitation. Lovely... Smile

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Thank you Crystal and Faisal. Crystal, I also do pencil drawings during the session, and I find that it helps me to see and draw quickly. I don't bring out the paints until I have had time to draw for awhile first.

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:26 am

I can't imagine being able to do this well so quickly either, Alan. Did it take you long to learn to do this?
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Jan
Thanks for the comments.
I have been drawing for many years, and 'back in the day', did a lot of coloured marker renderings for commercial clients. They had to be done VERY quickly, to meet demanding deadlines.
The techniques in some of this past experience can transfer directly into quick figure studies using a couple of colours. And the basic drawing aspect is similar: work from light to dark.

But the painting part is all new. Applying it with the right brush, and getting the values in place quickly is hard. The other challenging aspect for me is to try to capture the face in a few strokes. It's all about making the head and face the right size and proportion so that's where I am learning a lot.

(plus, there are several studies I didn't post here. If I did, we would all agree that those ones are to be quietly discarded as learning pieces ha ha)

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:47 pm

There is always our "Down the Drain" forum which hasn't hasn't much attention lately, but only if you are brave enough to allow people friendly laugh.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 am

I prefer to look at the sketches and unsuccessful paintings as experiments or lessons, and go from there. So, rather than post them on the 'Down the Drain' section of the forum, I'll bravely post them in the 'completed paintings' section. That way we can see them as practise steps toward better paintings.

PostSubject: Re: Figure studies   

Back to top Go down

Figure studies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1