HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Playtime Seascape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Playtime Seascape   Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm

After months of not being "in the mood" to paint or trying to paint and having it turn out trash, I'm painting up a storm these days. I did this one yesterday - it's about 8.5 x 14 inches and I tried to paint quickly (I'm normally very slow) as standing at my easel causes me some pretty severe back pain sometimes. Anyway, I'm not real pleased with the water in this but probably won't revisit it as I usuall hate going back into a painting to make corrections.

Go ahead and pick it apart as I know there's a lot to learn from this one.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 pm

I love it. The water looks fine to me. I like how it softly goes out to the distant horizon. The colors are beautiful and just make me what to walk barefoot on the beach again. Living in the desert doesn't really encourage walking barefoot any place around here.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/

Last edited by judyfilarecki on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:40 am

Hi Jan,

The problem with criticizing a good painting like this is that there are so many good things (98% ) and just a few things that look obtuse and in critiquing those, without pointing out the good things is absolutely unfair.

This is an awesome painting. The only thing you can downplay a little is the blue ripple of water, if you could knock the intensity of the chroma. Otherwise you have a winner. I love the softness in the painting. and the relaxed Dusk/Dawn feel of the painting.

You have the clove oil coming, now you can start revisiting your painting... i.e. correct them the next day as well... Smile

Have you considered wearing a back brace (You can get it home depot). It is really good. I use it when I have to do yard work. I am considering standing at the easel as well, and may need to use it.

Take Care

Faisal

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:41 am

Hi Jan,

The problem with criticizing a good painting like this is that there are so many good things (98% ) and just a few things that look obtuse and in critiquing those, without pointing out the good things is absolutely unfair.

This is an awesome painting. The only thing you can downplay a little is the blue ripple of water, if you could knock the intensity of the chroma. Otherwise you have a winner. I love the softness in the painting. and the relaxed Dusk/Dawn feel of the painting.

You have the clove oil coming, now you can start revisiting your painting... i.e. correct them the next day as well... Smile

Have you considered wearing a back brace (You can get it home depot). It is really good. I use it when I have to do yard work. I am considering standing at the easel as well, and may need to use it.

Take Care

Faisal

Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I agree with the water ripple color and may work on that since that's not really a major overhaul.

Faisal, I have a back brace - my husband ordered one with ceramic (self heating) threads but doesn't like it. I'll have to try it but I think it's because I stand in one spot in one position and get really intense for so long that I have problems. I need to be sure to take breaks and move more than those few occasional steps back to view my work.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Jan, I have to paint with a timer set next to me. I get so involved in painting that I completely forget about time and end up sore for days. Just set the timer for however long you can comfortably paint, then step away, do some stretches, and check your painting from a distance. Don't forget to reset your timer when you start to paint again.

I still prefer to stay seated, though.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm

How about sitting down... I have a chair with wheels,... but I have to get up and stretch in that scenario as well.. This is unhealthy in other ways..

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Wow, I really like this, Jan! Very well composed and rendered.

As far as back health goes, I find it extremely tiring to stand on my concrete basement floor and paint there. I am looking at buying one of those anti fatigue mats. But I hope it doesn't make the footing too 'floaty' if you know what I mean.
I stretch, take breaks, and so on to avoid leg and back cramping.

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks for the kudos on the painting and the advice from all of you about relieving back stress. I just got a drafting chair that I hope will help. Just got it so haven't tried it yet. Also plan to use the timer so I don't paint too long at a time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playtime Seascape   

Back to top Go down

Playtime Seascape
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1