Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Preparing oil primed canvas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Preparing oil primed canvas Empty
PostSubject: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Does anyone make their own oil primed canvas? If so, can u share your recepie with me/use
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:09 pm

I've stretched my own canvases. I get a big roll from Fredrick's, and it usually has some priming. I do add one or two layers of gesso over that.
I've read that if you want a smoother canvas than what you have, lightly sand in between each gesso layer, and it will gradually fill in the gaps in the fibers to the smoothness you want.
Judy
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:32 pm

but is that "oil prime"?
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am

I don't usually make/stretch my own canvases but have read that rabbitskin glue is the traditional sizing used to prime a canvas for oil painting. I can't remember where I read about it but I think if you do a search for "priming a canvas for oil painting" or something similar, you should find out tons of information.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Yup... I think I need to do some homework.. Smile
Back to top Go down
mpernack

mpernack

Location Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 am

If you want to Oil Gesso your canvas you have to use rabbit skin glue first (or another sizing). What a lot of people do not know is that Oil paint will eat cotton canvas and linen up. Not right away of course it will take a long time to do so. The sizing will act as a barrier to protect the canvas from the paint.

After you stretch your canvas you want to prime it with rabbit skin glue. rabbit skin glue comes as a power and you need to use a double boiler to cook it. Or just be super careful to not burn it. Gamblin and daniel smith both have rabbit skin glue. I have heard of people using a PVA sizing. I know Gamblin makes one, Golden's GAC 100 will also work and I have heard of people making their own using PVA sizing using PVA book binding glue. I am not sure on the portions used, need to google it.

After the sizing dries, You prime the canvas using a oil based gesso. again this is something i know gamblin and daniel smith sell. You will want to do multiple layers. You want to sand in between laters and let it completly dry before you sand and apply the next layer.

It is not something I suggest, it takes a long time because they no longer use lead paint which dries very fast. If you add Cobalt dryer to the gesso it will make it dry faster but it may tint your paint since the dryer is a bluish/purplish in color. But you will not use much of the dryer so it may work. probally something like 20-50 drops to a gallon. Cobalt dryer works by drying the paint from the inside out. Stay way from japan dryers they are ment to be applied over the top and don't really work.

I would just suggest you stick with an Acrylic Gesso. Same thing let the coats dry and sand inbetween them.

I however have heard of a linen that is preprimed with oil based gesso but it is very expensive.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 9:11 am

Wow!... thanks Mpernack... for the very detailed reply... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preparing oil primed canvas   Preparing oil primed canvas Empty

Back to top Go down

Preparing oil primed canvas
Page 1 of 1