Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi, Just joined the forum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ShonaM

ShonaM

Location Location : Newcastle, UK

Hi, Just joined the forum Empty
PostSubject: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 am

Hi,

My name is Shona and I've just joined the forum. I've been a watercolor artist for many years but want to try my hand at oils (something I haven't done since high school). I'm so pleased to have found water mixable oils because I'd all but given up on the idea of oil painting due to the turps (I can' stand the smell and I paint in a corner of my dining room). I'm hoping to buy some paints soon and I realise that I will need a lot of practice to get used to the change from watercolor. I can't decide whether it would be better to buy some cheaper oils first to practise with or go straight for some better quality ones. I've been looking at both the Holbeins and the own brand ones sold by jackson's. I've also been told that Royal Talens Cobra are good too. So I'm wondering what the members of the forum would recommend.

I also need a bit of advice on mixers, thinners etc. I want to try to steer clear of linseed if I can, just because of the smell but there seem to be quite a lot of different products to choose from. So what would you all suggest as a good starter 'kit' for a virtual newbie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Shona,
So glad you joined us.

Many of us started with Windsor/Newton but found them very stiff and sticky especially if you applied a small amount of water to them. W/N has a great WMO thinner that works great with them and other brands for the early thinner layers of painting. Higher layers, I find work well with small amounts of walnut oil. I also steer clear of linseed oil, even the WMO one, because it bothers my allergies.

If you want to get right in some really creamy paints that spread and mix easily, the Holbein Duos are wonder and worth the money. The Cobra Tahlens also have a very nice consistence.

Please take the time to browse around the forum. There is a great deal of information available.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi ShonaM, welcome to the forum. I would recommend that you start with good paints. My wife and I use Artisan WN, but I have also used Duos and Cobras. I especially liked Cobras for their intensity of colour and ease of handling.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi Shona,

Welcome Shona!... Smile

I would STRONGLY recommend Holbein duo. Don't get the kits that have a bunch of colors ,they are usuually low quality. I would suggest you get individual tubes and add to them slowly. I started out with Winsor Newton and boy did I struggle, especially since I do all my work Alla Prima.

Now my first rule to art is: "Don't buy cheap stuff"... I want to struggle with the creative part not with my tools.

I would also recommend a book: "Brushwork Essentials" by Mark Christopher Weber. He paints in WSO and gives tips on how to use it to paint. I love this book. Check it out.

Good luck!

Faisal
Back to top Go down
ShonaM

ShonaM

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:25 am

Thanks for your replies everyone! I've been reading through lots of post on the forum and I realise I've got an awful lot to learn Very Happy

I'm a little bewildered by the range of mediums and thinners that are all described as doing the same thing - i.e. improving the flow of the paint. I understand the 'fat over lean' rule - so I will need a thinner for the early layers and an oil for the later ones. A lot of you have mentioned walnut oil. I hope this isn't a really stupid question but I can't seem to find it on any of the UK art supply sites. Is it specially modified oil for WSO use or just regular walnut oil that you are using?
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Shona,

If you use Holbein DUO, then all you need is WSO Linseed oil (just a tiny drop that is all from a tooth pick) and water that is all... you don't have to worry about walnut oil. However if you go with other brands you are in for a surprise.

Do yourself a favor and go with Holbein, if you have not already made the purchase.

Take Care

Faisal
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Walnut oil is just plain oil you can find it in a health food store or grocery store that carries natural products. If you are sensitive to the WSO linseed oil as I am, even a small drop permeates the air.

Don't feel overwhelmed by everything you have to learn. Just get a few colors, such as the three primary colors, white and perhaps burnt sienna and then just play.

Have fun and share your accomplishments with us if you want. We can reinforce you progress or make kind suggestions.

Judy
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

I agree with Judy... Smile

Faisal
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Welcome Shona!
Back to top Go down
ShonaM

ShonaM

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:19 am

Thank you for your help Judy and Faisal. I think I will go with the Holbeins rather than trying a cheap brand first. It make sense - thinking about it, when I changed from Cotman to Artists watercolors I had to relearn quite a bit about how the pigments worked. No point learning with one brand then starting again with another. And thanks for the info about the walnut oil (I did find a post saying the same but only after I'd asked the question Oops )

I plan to buy some small canvases and experiment. My watercolor style is very detailed and I hope to (eventually!!) recreate that same level of detail in oils if I can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Just joined the forum   Hi, Just joined the forum Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi, Just joined the forum
Page 1 of 1