Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

hello new to this forum

Go down 
+2
ftariqtx
100rabbitts
6 posters
AuthorMessage
100rabbitts

hello new to this forum Empty
PostSubject: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi new to forum and new to these oils - have holbein purchased am interested in using walnut oil with them?
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Welcome... Holbein are the best. If you have any specific questions, please do ask. We will love to help. Do share your work with us. We would love to see it.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Yes, welcome! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. Happy Painting!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Welcome t o the forum. We are all artists busy painting with water soluble oils and other media. Feel free to browse the different topics to get some answers and for those you don't find, feel free to ask us.
Judy
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Welcome! I don't use walnut oil but Judy is the expert if you have any questions about it.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 pm

I use walnut oil sparingly for upper layers of the painting when you need a fatter mixture. Faisal often suggests using a tooth pick to add oil to the mix and I think that is a very good idea. You want to be able to add very small controlled amounts to get to the consistency you want.

I also use the walnut to put a fine film on the gessoed canvas or acrylic under painting to help make the paint flow into the canvas more easily. If you are planning to use a dry brush technique, then don't put the thin film on.

Judy
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Good tips Judy... Smile
Back to top Go down
100rabbitts

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi everyone
Thank you for the support - Judy - good tips about walnut oil!

I'm just getting back to painting, will share when i have something!
First I wish to paint over old dried traditional oils( about 4-5 years dry) and I
heard or saw somwhere to put a very thin film of walnut oil on the dry surface and then wipe off - to aid in adhesion of the new WSO's?

anyone know about that?

Thank you all
100 rabbitts
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 9:22 pm

hmm, not sure if that works. I have never painted over a finished canvas as is. I once scraped off cracked paint (a lesson learned) and painted over that. I just used medium mixed with the paint to ensure it was fat enough. Maybe others can give you their comments.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Hmmm.. don't know much about this either... sorry!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 am

Do you have a small old one that you could experiment on? Just paint something easy over it. I would use the thin film of walnut oil over the old one first. Just paint on some of the oil and then use a paper towel or soft cloth to gently wipe off most of it so there is a thin glaze without any puddles....I hope that makes sense.
Judy
Back to top Go down
100rabbitts

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 pm

hello everyone

Thank you all for your supportive tips. Judy that makes sense, i will report back results at some point, in a new topic about this subject.

100 rabbitts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hello new to this forum   hello new to this forum Empty

Back to top Go down

hello new to this forum
Page 1 of 1