Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Photo References

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Photo References Empty
PostSubject: Photo References   Photo References EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 12:27 pm

I know a lot of artists frown on using and/or copying photo references. (To each his own.) For those of us that do make use of photos, here's a fascinating bit of history:

http://www.fogonazos.es/2006/11/famous-painters-copied-photopraphs_06.html

Enjoy Photo References Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Photo References Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photo References   Photo References EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Callie, that's fascinating. Most of the painters mentioned are my favorites. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Photo References Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photo References   Photo References EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 3:29 pm

It's funny to me that artists (some of the best of them) who had grown up painting from life were so willing to make use of the new technology (photography). Good for them!
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

Photo References Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photo References   Photo References EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:07 pm

I love to use photos! You don't have to worry about the light changing! Not everyone has a studio or place to set up a still life with consistent lighting. Plus if you are outside, the light and shadows change very quickly also! I love realism and like to take a long time on a painting, so photos are GREAT for what I work. Someday maybe I'll be able to put my personal picture or paintings on here. I am not too good with computers. Photo References Icon_mad
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Photo References Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photo References   Photo References EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:45 am

Susan, we have a great tutorials on how to post a picture on the forum here:

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/questions-answers-f5/how-do-i-load-an-image-to-my-post-t16.htm

If your image is already on the web somewhere you can use this one:

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/site-suggestion-f1/adding-an-image-to-your-post-linking-to-an-image-t162.htm

If you need help don't hesitate to ask. We would be more then happy to walk you through it.

I agree with your reasons for using photos I feel the same way. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Photo References Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photo References   Photo References EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 am

Hi Susan,

I do almost all my paintings from photos I have taken. I normally would print out a photo and then paint from that. Sometimes the printout was not really the colors I had on the computer.

Recently I got a small notebook computer. I now keep that plugged in on my painting table and I refer to the photo on the computer rather than a printout. That way I can adjust the color on the computer to exactly what I want. It makes it much easier to choose my colors in the painting.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Photo References Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photo References   Photo References Empty

Back to top Go down

Photo References
Page 1 of 1