Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do you do with your paintings?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

What do you do with your paintings? Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with your paintings?   What do you do with your paintings? EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 pm

As my wife and I continue to paint, we see our paintings around the house. We have given a few away, donated a few to charity, and sold a few. The others tah we are not entirely proud of? Well, they are still around. What do we do with them? Have a sale? Throw them out? Pack them in boxes? Foist them on friends and relatives?
Which leads to my question: what do you do with your paintings?
There are likely some good stories here.... and hopefully some ideas we can be inspired by.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your paintings?   What do you do with your paintings? EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm

I have started amassing all these paintings, which at this point are not sale worthy (I think) but they are pilling up in my garage/studio. I keep dusting them off, I have hung up a few of them in the garage, but soon, I will be running out of space and don't know what to do with them.

I know that two of my favorite artists Carol Marine and James Gurney, destroy their not so good work. Infact Gurney has a nice contraption where he has a solar reflector (concave mirror) and has the painting at the focal point and the intense heat burns up his painting.

Here is another dilemma. How do people dispose of discarded paint, paint covered rags, how do you all wash your brushes. Whenever I am at the sink cleaning brushes or dumping stuff in the garbage, I always wonder, how I am runing the environment. I would love to hear some environmentally friendly suggestions here.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your paintings?   What do you do with your paintings? EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 pm

I did some searching online to find out more about the mystery of what successful artists do with their unsold paintings. The VERY successful artists simply ship them from gallery to gallery to art fair and so on. But at my level, I do not have galleries to send them to. Nor the funds to ship my paintings from place to place.
I can see lowering the prices on some that are clearly not moving, to see if that helps. Or taking them out of their frames and recycling the frames. (have already done that)
And I suppose I could scrape off the paint and use the canvas over again.

About material disposal, I put all the paper towel and paper palettes, etc into a garbage can to dry. Then I throw it all into the dry waste bag. i don't use cloth rags, just paper towel. The dried paint containers also go into dry waste.
Our locality permits EMPTY household (wall and ceiling) paint cans to be disposed of in the weekly pickup. FULL paint containers MUST be taken to the hazardous waste disposal facility.
I wash my brushes with soap, which I allow to go down the drain. I feel it is no worse than a lot of household sink and floor cleansers, which people dispose of that way from a bucket.

I am curious about what some of our other members do with their leftover paintings and how they dispose of materials.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your paintings?   What do you do with your paintings? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your paintings?
Page 1 of 1