HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Finally - It's Finished!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Finally - It's Finished!   Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:25 am

Or it's as much as I want to do with it so I'm calling it finished. This is the painting on the cradled hardboard that I mentioned in a previous post. I got oil paint on the sides in my haste to start painting and then didn't know what to do about it. I ended up continuing the background color around the sides along with the stem & leaves. Judy had asked for a photo but it's still too wet to be able to get one.

This painting gave me fits as I didn't know how to achieve the thin veining in the petals nor did I have the proper colors for what I really wanted to do with the leaves.

Does anyone know of any WSO tutorials for painting flowers? I'm a visual learner and would really like some specific instructions for this medium.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Nice work. Hopefully once you get the artisan thinner that will help with the thin lines. The other thing you want is a script or liner brush. Thin the paint down to an ink consistency and you will be able to make the lines you want.

I don't know of any video's specific to WSO's but really the techniques are pretty much the same as traditional oils with the exception of what you use to change the fluidity and fatness of the paint. I'm sure if you search on Google, you'll find a lot of demonstration videos for florals.

As far as the proper colors, being used to pastels where you tend to have a large assortment of pre-made colors, in WSO's you want to experiment with mixing colors yourself from the primary colors you have on your pallet.

I have a page on my website that gives quite a bit of information on mixing colors and a few short videos. You may want to take a look there. Here's the link.

http://www.filarecki.com/mixing-colors.html

Hope that helps.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for the help, Judy. I hope the Artisan thinner works but, like you said the real challenge is knowing when to use what medium where!

I did take a look at your website - thanks!
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Jan, I use Artisan thinner and Graham walnut oil as my mediums, and I use them with Artisans, Lukas Berlin, and Cobra WMOs. I start out using a small jar with artisan thinner in it, and every time I add an additional layer, I add a few drops of walnut oil to the small jar. That way every additional layer is a little fatter than the last one. If you want to paint some glazed flowers, I would recommend goint to WetCanvas and looking up WFMartin. He does some amazing flowers that show beautiful veining. I think you've done a wonderful job here. Happy Painting!
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for your kind comment and also the tips. I visit Wet Canvas from time to time and will definitely check out WFMartin.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am

Yes, this is still my favorite forum, but I sometimes use Wet Canvas too!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Nice work, Jan. I tend to get paint on the sides of my canvases too, (and on my hands and arms) and have now reconciled myself to always painting the sides of each and every canvas. I tried matching the front painting colours, but that was too much work. Now I just mix an appropriate colour after the painting is dried, and paint that same colour on all 4 sides.

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:28 am

Lol, thank you Alan! I was feeling like such a klutz as I get paint all over myself too. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. A mahlstick helps but I tend to misplace mine when I need it most!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Jan,

Nice Job. Unfortunately there are only a few books out there on the topic of WS. Maybe one of us would become the pioneers and publish soon on this topic. Maybe all of us on this forum can get together and publish a book... Smile Maybe an e-book... Smile

Faisal

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally - It's Finished!   

Back to top Go down

Finally - It's Finished!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1