Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First Animal Painting in WMOs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

First Animal Painting in WMOs Empty
PostSubject: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 am

First Animal Painting in WMOs Tessa10 Well, I've finally gotten brave enough to post a painting in progress. I'm actually fairly pleased with it so far and it was so much easier to get a likeness in WMOs than in acrylic (I just can't seem to manage acrylics!)

This is just the first session and I'm waiting for the paint to dry slightly so I can continue.

Any hints, C&C always welcome.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 am

Very Cute. The oils are definitely easier for the soft blending of the hair. You are off to a good start. It is probably too early for hints since you look like you have things very well under control.

There are two things I would look for in the finished painting. First, the eyes are all ready very expressive and with careful highlighting, I bet his/her look will just melt your heart. The second thing I would look for is some soft gradation of colors in the background just to add a little interest and harmony without taking away from the main focus of the dog.

Hope that helps. I look forward to seeing the next phase.
Judy
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 12:03 pm

I just looked at your website gallery, and your paintings are beautiful. I see wonderful eyes that speak to you...I love doing eyes. I also see that many of them are pastels. Having started in pastel myself, I can relate to the difficulty in transitioning to acrylics and the satisfaction of working with the oils. I had the same experience.

Judy
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks so much, Judy. I do like the oils for the animals.

Yes, the eyes will have more highlights and definition and the current background was just a swipe of color to get rid of the white canvas before I started. I haven't decided exactly what to do with it yet but will definitely add some gradations and interest in it.

It's basically just blocked in right now but I came back to ask a question about the fat over lean principle.

I understand fat over lean but am somewhat unsure how to accomplish it in WMO's. If I add the Berlin medium (which is water mixable linseed oil) to my paint, am I making the paint fatter or leaner? Since it's an oil, I would think it would add fat but I haven't had to think in these terms for a very long time and not ever with WMO's so I wanted to be sure!

Just saw your second post - thanks for the kudos on my website paintings and thanks also for understanding the difficulty in transitioning to oils from pastels! It's sort of a challenge right now.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 pm

Nice start, Jan!
As far as fat over lean, I would venture that adding medium will make your paint fatter. Thinner or water would make it leaner.
Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks, Alan, that's very helpful. I thought so but there seem to be many more "rules" for painting in oils than in other media I work in.

Haven't had time to work on the little Yorkie but hope to get to it by tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi Jan,

The start looks very good. Looking forward to your progress.

Take Care

Faisal
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:01 pm

The W.N. Artisan thinner actually does add a little bit of fat to the paint, but not much. The linseed oil or walnut oil is usually used to add to a fatter layer. Also, if you let the painting dry for a day or so between coats, you don't need to add extra fat to the layers...the bottom coat is leaner because some of the oil has dried.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks, Faisal!

Thank you for the information, Crystal. It's nice to know that those days of drying mean not needing to add extra oil to the paint when continuing the painting!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Animal Painting in WMOs   First Animal Painting in WMOs Empty

Back to top Go down

First Animal Painting in WMOs
Page 1 of 1