Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) Empty
PostSubject: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Same view as before, same size, same palette, but different paints.
Using Duo Water Mixables this time. Same limited palette: Titanium white, Cad Yellow, Cad Red, Ultramarine Deep, Raw Umber
The paints are a bit thicker and chalkier perhaps (stiffer) than the Cobras, but the colours are really strong. The Cad Red, for example, lights up the room!
Or maybe that's just the Cadmium, ha ha. Anyway, I am wearing gloves while handling these new paints.

First 1.25 hours in.

Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) ParleerDune2progDuosm400
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 9:21 pm

This almost looks like the one you completed. Are you planning to do a series? If so, that is a good idea. As you may already know lots of experienced artists recommend painting in a series to get the painting down...

Good luck with this one as well...

Faisal
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 am

The cad red and cad yellow definitely make the sand dune glow. I really liked your other one, but I also like the added warmth and variation in colors that you have in this one.
Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks for the comments. Judy, you are right, I added more red and yellow to the sand.

This little painting is pretty much identical so far, to the one I just completed, but I changed paints. Sort of an experiment, to mix the same colours but using 2 different brands of paint. So far, I prefer the handling of the Cobras. But the Duos have very vivid colour, leading me to think that they might have a higher pigment load...

These 2 matching studies might be donated to charity, not sure. Or sell one and donate the other. Not intending to display them side by side, ha ha. which would lead to people questioning what I am doing, repeating myself so early in my painting 'career'.

All preparatory work for the eventual 24" x 36" full size version.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 am

While the composition is somewhat similar, the feel of this painting is different. It feels starker and gives the impression of loneliness. I like it just as it is.

I like it when artists do comparison experiments like this then share the results. I know we're all different but it sure gives a good starting point to finding our own products/methods.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm

This is the third brand of WMOs I have tried. I have used Artisans a lot, but have become more interested in the Cobras recently. This paint comparison is a chance to try to mix paints to match a previous work, which is challenging in itself. Ah well, we painters are brave, aren't we?
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Yup! this look good as it is. Was it Rembrandt who said that art should look complete at any stage... (easy for him to say.. eh!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)   Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo) Empty

Back to top Go down

Parlee Beach Dune 2, (Duo)
Page 1 of 1