HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New from NC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: New from NC   Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am

Hello everyone. The forum is very quiet right now but I'm still picking up some tips and information for which I'm very grateful. I painted in regular oils a very long time ago but gave it up when I had a child. I turned to watercolor, pastels and other less toxic media but tried the WSO's when they first came out. I didn't particularly care for them at the time but recently purchased a few of the Lukas Berlins which I do like. I chose the Berlin paints because they were reasonably priced enough to experiment with and I could get them relatively local to me (well, 50 or 60 miles away! lol) Now I'm reading that they may be student quality???? Oh, well, if I decide to continue with the WSO's, I can always invest in a better brand!

Anyway, my name is Jan and my favorite subjects to paint are animals and flowers - now I just have to learn how to do them in the WSO's! Thanks for such a nice forum!
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Nice to meet you JanG. I use and like the Lukas Berlin WMOs, too. I also like the Cobras a lot. In the meantime, I figure that I'll continue to paint with LB, until I make enough money to pay for the Cobras. Hope you like this forum as much as I do. Happy Painting.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi JanG

I'm so glad you joined us. We have been pretty quiet lately. It seems we are all just too busy. We do try to follow up on questions people have promptly whenever possible, so feel free to ask questions you don't find answer to. There are a lot of discussions and using the search tool can help find some of the information you may be looking for.

We would love to see some of your work when you have something to share. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome Crystal and Judy.

Crystal, I think the Cobras will be my next choice of WMO brands if I continue with them. Glad to know you like them.

Judy, so far I haven't really done much with the paint so don't have anything worthwhile to show yet. I did finish one small painting and am working on another that isn't going so well so it may be a while. lol I'm finding it a bit difficult to get used to the oils and just haven't had the time lately to really get in the practice needed. I was hoping joining this forum would be a motivational influence. I've already picked up many good tips here.

Is there a special place to ask questions? I have one odd question that's about a cradled hardboard support instead of the paint itself. Actually, since I've gone this far, let me ask it here. If it's the wrong place, I'll move it.

I'm currently painting on a cradled hardboard support (Ampersand) and didn't even think about finishing the sides before I started painting (the painting surface was already prepared but the sides weren't). I've gotten a little paint on those unfinished sides and wonder if I'll just have to frame the painting if it turns out or if it's possible to remove the oil paint then prepare the sides so I can continue the painting around the sides. Since nothing really goes over oil paint, I have a feeling I'll just have to frame it!

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the post. I am using Grumbacher MAX and it turns out to be very good and is not sticky and responds very well to me.

I am assuming you are using Gessoed panel for your painting. It would be nice if you could post it on-line and then it will be easy for us to make suggestions to you.

Take Care

Faisal

Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:32 am

Thanks for the welcome, Faisal. Yes, I'm using a gessoed panel that is also canvas textured. I haven't quite gotten to the point of posting a photo yet but I will as soon as I can.

Again, thanks for your response,
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Jan,

If the paint is still damp on the sides, I have other members who have scraped paint off with a pallet knife. You can try that. Other wise, I would suggest caefully painting the edges a solid color when you are done or purposely bringing the colors around as y ou paint like they do in gallery wraps. I don't think I have ever not framed an ampersand board. There is always a first time, I guess.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Jan,

I just found the link problem. We did set up a restriction for new members. After you are a member for a week, you can post links. For new members that want to use the forum for spam, if they wait a week and then try to put in a link, we can ban them if we find the links are inappropriate.

I'm sure you'll be able to submit links shortly without a problem. It was good for me to have to refresh my memory about that restriction.
Judy

Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks Judy, I wondered if I could continue the painting around the edges even though there's no gesso or anything on the sides. It's good to know I can. The paint I got on the sides by accident is pretty much already dried but is just barely over the edge.

Yes, I saw the restriction on posting links and that's no problem. I understand about trying to prevent spammers and don't blame you for trying to keep them out - I don't think any true member appreciates spam.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:26 pm

You could gesso the sides and then bring the painting around or paint it solid. Let us know what you ended up doing and how it came out.
Judy

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Welcome to the Forum, JanG. Nice to have you with us!

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 am

Thank you so much. I'm really grateful for the tips you and the others have given here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New from NC   

Back to top Go down

New from NC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussion :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: