Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello Water Soluble Artists

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
57anchors

Hello Water Soluble Artists Empty
PostSubject: Hello Water Soluble Artists   Hello Water Soluble Artists EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm trying to master this difficult medium. Why walnut oil? Not Safflower oil?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Hello Water Soluble Artists   Hello Water Soluble Artists EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Walnut oil is supposed to dry with a harder paint coat than Safflower oil, but you don't have to use walnut oil. The mediums that are with the same brand of paint you use are fine. Also, I use Winsor Newton Artisan mediums, but I don't use Winsor Newton Artisan paint. I use several other brands of water mixable paints. I like Artisan thinner and their stand oil mixed together, too. Hope this helps. Happy Painting!
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Hello Water Soluble Artists   Hello Water Soluble Artists EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi 57anchors! Welcome to the forum!

I don't use walnut oil. I use the water soluble linseed oil with water with the Holbein duo aqua. As Dayle pointed out you don't need to use walnut oil.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Hello Water Soluble Artists   Hello Water Soluble Artists EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi 57anchors, Welcome to the forum.

I started out using the linseed oil from W/N when I switched from traditional oils, but it was bothering my breathing as bad as the traditional oils did. Someone suggested walnut oil and I have been happy ever since. I've never tried the safflower oil but I know others have. I still get congested during a painting session but not as bad as before switching, but I just make sure that the painting is done in a room where I don't spend a lot of time.

The best thing is to experiment with different mixtures and find the one that works best for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello Water Soluble Artists   Hello Water Soluble Artists Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello Water Soluble Artists
Page 1 of 1