Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi!! New and have a list of questions...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
new to oils

Hi!! New and have a list of questions... Empty
PostSubject: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 am

Hello!!

I have been referred to this forum by a lovely artist I discovered today named Judy, who seems to be a moderator! Smile Thank you Judy for referring me to this forum.

I am new and have....well, lots of questions!!

I have been painting with acrylics in all my experience, and need to switch to oils due to more open working time. The open acrylics I tried aren't great as they cannot be used really thick AND really thin, without the addition of mediums of course but that cuts up the whole open time thing...

I don't need my paints open on the canvas at all as I don't do lots of smooth blends, I like a more thick, textured, sometimes almost sticky, in a way, applications. And on occasion, when I see a nice sunset, I may spring for smooth blends. Wink

I need paints open on the palette. Yes I do use a special air tight box but it's not enough for acrylics. And dealing with stay wet palette changing 24/7, just for them not to get moldy gets on my nerves. Oils seem great! But I'm trying to decide between water mixable oils, and regular oils with the use of walnut oil for cleanup.

So, here are some of my questions:

1. If I use walnut oil to thin, and say I'm in a weird mood and feel like doing layers (which I never do) will the fact that there is walnut oil thinning and not thinner interrupt the "fat over lean" rule? As there is already lots of oil in the first layer?

2. If I don't use walnut oil, I know w/s oils have a thinner, (at least I know of the Artisan thinner, and that's the company I think I'll go with) but can I use that special w/s oil thinner to thin regular oils as well?

3. Can I use any special water soluble oil medium with the regular oil colours?

4. Does anyone know how to describe the consistency of the Artisan line? I saw a picture of DickBlick artist oils in Artist magazine, and THAT'S the look I like! Very Happy

They showed them in an ad, the tubes, and paint poured out of them. That's the consistency I like!!! Very Happy Has anyone seen a picture or worked with them? Should I try them? Do the Artisan have a similar consistency?

(I was thinking of just going to my local art shop, with the picture from the magazine, and show the manager the oils and ask him to give me a brand with a similar consistency, but maybe you guys know?)

5.I read one man online said that after cleaning with walnut oil, it does leave an oil in the brush, even after the soap, that does get into your paints the next day and naturally thins them. He like it, but for me it will be a problem.

Has anyone here had this problem? Thinning wouldn't be very good for a lot of what I do, only occasionally do I need to thin, I usually need more body in the paint...

6. Can anyone recommend artist quality paints, both w/s and not, that don't have a strong odor in themselves, and come relatively thick and not too shiny out of the tube? (I like doing one, THICK layer with a knife usually, I do a lot of knife stuff. And I like a not too shiny finish. Usually....)

I am planning on buying a few tubes from my local shop to test consistencies for myself, but would really love if I can get some feedback or recommendations before spending money.

Those are my questions for now, and all other tips will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!! In the meantime, I will keep browsing this forum, I'm sure I'll find lots of great info here!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:13 am

Hi Sharon,
I see you made it to the forum. I'm going to leave the questions for others to answer since I answered quite a few for you all ready. It will give others a chance to tell about their experiences. The one thing I can tell you is that I switched to WS Oils because of my sensitivity to the traditional oils and their effect on my breathing. That seems to be a reason that a lot of people have switched. Hope you enjoy the forum

Judy
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 am

Hi Judy!!

Thank you so much!!! I'm sure I will enjoy the forum!!

But...was it the odor from the paint tubes themselves, or the medium, that effected your breathing? (we have quite a few asthma related allergies here)
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Sharon,

The terpenoid fumes, and the linseed oil in the traditional oils bothered me. The water-soluble oil linseed oil also bothered me. That's why I use the walnut oil instead.

I tolerate the W/N Artisans thinner which is great for the early thin layers I do so the "fat over lean" rule is maintained.

I do not tolerate the walnut oil Alkyd which is a fast-drying medium. If I use that, I try to work outside and make sure the painting is drying in an area away from the living area.

Judy
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi Judy,

Thank you. Very interesting.....

Well, I guess the only way I'll know whether or not it bothers me personally is by trying it out. Is the odour particularly strong?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 5:52 pm

If you like a thick, sticky texture, you will probably like W/N Artisans. The only thing I'm wondering is if they actually make acrylics that are a thick and sticky as W/N Artisans. Eveybody likes different types of paint brands, so I think one of the best ways to find out is to buy at least 1 tube out of each brand. For myself, I bought a ton of W/N Artisans and have never been able to paint with them, but that doesn't mean that you will have problems. I do think the Artisans have more odor that some of the others.
1. If you want to paint in layers with wmos, the best way would be to use Artisan Thinner mixed in on the first layer. After that, on each layer should have a little more Walnut Oil and a little less thinner. That will honor the fat over lean rule.
2. As far as I know, the Artisan thinner is only for use with wsos.
3. As far as I know the WSO mediums are only for use with wsos. However, walnut oil can be used with either WSOs or Traditional Oil paints.
4. You might be better off taking the picture to a paint store, since we can't see your picture. I still think it is better to try 1 or 2 tubes of a certain brand, so that you can see how the paint feels to you. Nobody else can really feel it for you.
5. If you wash your brushes really well with something like masters brush cleaner, you shouldn't had excess oils in your brushes. The problem might also be that he gets the oil medium up too far in the bristles, and then can't get it out. You should load your brushes with paint no more than 1/3 of the way up the bristles.
6. I'm sorry that I can't give you a good answer on that. Personally, I know what paints I like, but it sounds like we have differences in what we consider good paint.

Hopefully others will have more answers for you. Happy painting!
Dayle
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Thank you Dayle!!!

Oh, well I will definitely be careful to only load the brush 1/3 of the way up. Thanks for the great tip!

I will take the picture to the store. And I'm thinking to buy:

1 bottle walnut oil

3 tubes of paint, both w/s and maybe one not, to test along side Artisans

Gesso, just don't know which one yet...

brush cleaner and gloves (to really get access paint out without touching it)

Do you think that's enough to test? I'm thinking of getting the impasto medium for w/s Artisans as well as their thinner too for the tests..

Does anyone have experience with the w/s Artisan impasto medium? Should I add a thick oil instead of an impasto medium for a thick layer?

Thanks so much again!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Oh! I have one more question...

My bedroom is my studio, while I am painting everything is out but when I'm done, the easel gets covered with a cloth, painting under, and put right outside in the hall until the next day. Some days the studio is used all day...

I try to ventilate as best as I can...

My old studio was HUGE (oh it was nice....lots of room, lots of light...) with a huge window and only painting with acrylics and water so there was no odour.

Now I've moved in here, and the bedroom is all I have. (Not to mention all I can get to without a problem in the Canadian winters! Wink )

There is one, regular size window, a great ceiling fan 9I'll be taking real advantage of that!) And gray-ish green-ish walls.

I have to make do with the small size and wall colour, (got a solution for the colour already actually) but I am worried about having lingering odours once I am done for the day...

Does anyone have advice? Do odours of w/s oils stick around for a while after? After all, I have to be there all day, as I work there, and I have to sleep in it....

I know w/s oils aren't harmful to breath, (unless one is aggravated by a certain oil specifically) but I still don't want any odour around at night..

I gesso, varnish, and do all other smelly things outside, in the garage, when it is open.(I can gesso outside for a few minutes in minus 20 right? Help )

I would really appreciate any advice...does anyone else work in their room?
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Oh, forgot to add, I do very large canvases and use lots of paint...so I'm assuming the smell will be even worse..... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 7:10 am

Hi new to oils! Welcome to the forum! I really don't find that WSOs smell so don't see a problem with working in any enclosed space.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 am

I would try what you suggested, and if the oil odor bothers you, then put a daybed in the front room, and keep your bedroom/studio door closed.
I accidentally got off the site for a while, so can't find the rest of the new threads.
Good luck!
Dayle
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi!!

Nice to meet you Janet! Thank you for the nice welcome.

Really? I've heard people complaining about the Artisan's odour...I plan to try those...

What brand do you use?

Hi Dayle! Thanks again for all your information. That's a nice idea...unfortunately our tiny house is jam packed! Wink So even if I wanted to sleep outside, there is not even enough room on the floor, let alone a bed, but that's a really cool idea I didn't think of...

We move every few months, so I will probably have a new studio to move into at some point, and I will definitely keep your idea in mind for future use! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:13 am

I use the Holbein Duo Aqua. I've tried several brands except the Cobras and these are my favorite for me. I like the consistency and the way they handle with water.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:09 am

I believe the Holbein Duo Aquas are the highest grade of WMOs, but they are also the most expensive. Good luck!
Dayle
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi again!

Thank you both, Janet and Dayle.

Unfortunately, they don't sell these at Canadian art retailers, at last not anywhere near I live, and Artisans here are super affordable, (I'm talking an exciting 5 dollars per tube!!! I guess it's just really easy to find them here, their full Artisan product line, in all sizes and prices is easily available) so I'll keep looking to use those as well as this Max line I hear is good, they carry it here as well.

Can anyone recommend an artist quality brand of regular oils? I'd like to try the solvent free method of cleaning with only walnut oil followed by soap and water, and compare the handling and studio experience of w/s oils vs. regular oils with walnut then water cleanup.

So any suggestions?

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi "new". My wife and I use Artisans, we find them to be good to work with. We use them in a well ventilated studio though. You might want to look into proper ventilation. The paints and solvents are better healthwise than traditional oils, but best to be sure.

Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Thank you watermixableguy,

I only have my room to work in, with an adequate window, and good, strong ceiling fan. I also have a small air filter. I unfortunately can't use anything other than my room, but I am hoping that with my ventilation efforts it will be enough! Very Happy Wish me luck! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi!! New and have a list of questions...   Hi!! New and have a list of questions... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi!! New and have a list of questions...
Page 1 of 1