Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.

Go down 
+3
dbclemons
watermixableguy
pollypainter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
pollypainter

Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. Empty
PostSubject: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 4:43 pm

I have been using a product from the Grocery Store to seal off my palette from air. I think it is new, as I've never noticed it before. Called Press'n Seal by Glad. It's a sort of plastic wrap on a roll, only you can press it down to effect a pretty good seal. I started using a glass pane for a palette, and when I'm done for the day, I clean off paint that is not worth saving, then leave a few clumps of good paint. Then I spread a plastic sheet over the panel and press down around and between the clumps. Most of the air is pressed out, and the plastic stuff sticks pretty good to the glass. The paint ends up looking like the paint is vacuum packed on the palette. The next day, I take off the sheet and throw away. So far, I haven't kept paint for more than three days, so I'm not sure how far I can take it.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Hmm, sounds like a good idea. I know some people also use some type of wet palette container, where the paints are airsealed in, with water in a sponge somewhere underneath.
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 8:50 am

Anything to help keep air out will prolong the wetness of the oil. The less air the better. There's still going to be a small amount of air getting through so the paint will eventually dry out.

I use the Press-n-seal underneath the paint, myself. It makes palette clean up easier. Due to the textured surface of the plastic, the oil doesn't slide around.
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 10:58 am

That does sound neat - both the on-top and below uses. Dave, how does the Press-and-seal react to using a palette knife to scrape off just a few places without clearing off the entire palette?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks for the tips, Polly and David.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 7:12 am

Thank you both for the the great tips! Press n' Seal is on my list for the next grocery run.
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:25 am

Jim wrote:
That does sound neat - both the on-top and below uses. Dave, how does the Press-and-seal react to using a palette knife to scrape off just a few places without clearing off the entire palette?

It's not much of a problem if you're careful. I've even used solvent on it to clean off a spot on the palette (when using regular oils) and it holds up well. Most of the problems I had before with oily rags in the trash (spontaneous combustion worries) came from cleaning off my palette. That's were most of the paint is. Not a problem with this stuff.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Polly and Dave.

What a great idea. I use the air-sealed pallet with a piece of glass in the bottom instead of the wet sponge, because I didn't like the way the paint got too runny the next day from the wetness. I really like the idea of covering the glass with the plastic...one more step to easier clean up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.   Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out. Empty

Back to top Go down

Press'n Seal to help keep paint from drying out.
Page 1 of 1