Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help with brush cleaning Please

Go down 
+6
oCDs01-711
Jim
DesertRambler
Crystal1
judyfilarecki
bernie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
new to oils

cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 am

Thank you. Though that might take some getting used to for me, as I never clean anything till the en of the day.... So, did you mean I should also put walnut oil in my little bowl, instead of water, and clean with water?
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Yes. Bristle brushes should never be left in water for any length of time. Here is a link that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about bristle brushes. Scroll down for cleaning tips:

http://www.silverbrush.com/art/art_pdfs/art_brush_tips.pdf
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Thank you! I read the link. So, it's ok, to leave the brushes' bristles in a tiny bowl of walnut oil for around 30 minutes? It wont soften the bristles?

Also, they said in the link you sent me that hog bristles aren't good with water. Though I've heard of this, I've never had any problems with them keeping stiffness and shape, (and I've always used acrylics) I like the texture they leave and I like using them.

So, does anyone know of a good brush cleaner that is non-toxic? I've heard people here using hog bristles, how do you clean yours?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:35 pm

My art teacher has been teaching us to clean our brushes first in baby oil or safflower oil, then swish them in Awesome, rinse, and dry. It seems to be working very well with traditional oils as well as WMOs. I have used diluted Awesome for several years as a stain remover for clothing that has oil or grease stains, and my husband and I love it. We buy a spry bottle of Awesome at our Dollar Tree Store for $1.00. Awesome is supposed to be much safer than Windex as a cleaning agent. This is also very cost effective. Have fun painting.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks Dayle! And you are doing this with hogs? And no softening problems?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:08 am

This is just a final cleaning of the brushes for the day. If hogs sit is water for long, they will swell until they dry again. I am using mostly synthetics, but other people in the class are using hogs occassionally.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I use synthetic brushes, rinse, then use Dawn dish soap, which works like a charm, then run them through Masters, shape them, then store them. I'm super picky with my brushes, and like the Dawn to get everything out of them first.

Btw - ACMoore, I find, is better than Michaels, and you can get their weekly coupon online for at least a 40% (sometimes 50%) discount.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 5:20 pm

I use all kinds of brushes for WSOs, (Artisan so far) and rinse them often, then wash them with liquid dish soap. Sometimes I use hair conditioner on them and let them air dry. So far so good.
Haven't tried Master Cleaner yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with brush cleaning Please   cleaning brushes - Help with brush cleaning Please - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with brush cleaning Please
Page 1 of 1