A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 pm

The whole print thing is very confusing to me. Do I have to take the picture, or does the print shop take it? What if the art is shiny? How does that work?

Is it more economical to buy your own wide format printer, or just have the prints made by a company in your area? What is the usual process in making prints? If you have your own printer, can you just scan the painting and print it?

Thoughts and advice, please!
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Ok, I do have it *somewhat* figured out. I suppose the cheapest way is to take your own picture. I found a wide format Epson printer that has good reviews, and now all I have to do is figure out what kind of paper to use.

Wow, those scanners are pretty expensive!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:54 pm

I have the wide format Epson printer (Epson Stylus Photo 1280) and I order their borderless Matte Paper-Heavyweight from Epson directly. I haven't ordered any in a while, but it seems that the shipping cost was minimal and the service was fast.

I use Epson's 8 x 10, 11 x 14 and the Super B 13 x 19 paper. I also use Fredrix Desktop Inkjet Canvas. With the canvas, I mount it on acid-free foam board using acid-free Photo Adhesive.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Judy,
Thanks for the response. I have been corresponding with an out of state friend today, and she has brought up a whole host of questions. She does photography, and is quite good. She mentions monitor calibration, color management and other stuff. Have you noticed much of a difference between colors in your actual artwork and your prints? She has a Canon printer, because she started out with cards, and it is supposed to be the best for cards.

I am thinking of the new wide format Epson r2000. It is wireless, and will do 12 x 12, which is the format of my animal prints.

Thanks for the paper recommendation. It is a place to start. I can always change if I want something different, and if you are satisfied it must be good. What do you put on the 13 x 19 in paper? You must have to trim it for framing in a standard frame.

I was wondering about mounting the canvas on foamboard, but is it ok not to have it under glass? Have you been satisfied with the Epson?

My friend mentioned the gallery wrapped, but that doesn't seem like such a good idea to me. Who would wrap it? I would have to have that done, and I don't want to do that.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:56 am

Hi Misty,

I mat and frame the 13 x 19 prints up to the standard 18 by 24 frame. With the canvas prints, I frame them without glass or matting. I do spray them with 2 or 3 coats of a clear UV acrylic such as Krylon has to ensure they are water and UV protected. They hold up very well and I love the fact that they aren't hiding behind glass.

With the Epson Inkjet, I find that I don't have to alter the color on the monitor from the default setting. I did several small test prints to be sure the print was coming out as I was seeing them on the screen.

I have a Konica Minolta laser printer that I use for cards and 5 x 7 prints. Laser prints are water proof so it is perfect for cards. I do the 5 x 7's only because it is a lot less costly to print on the laser and the smaller prints don't bring in as much income. I do have to make separate file for laser prints because they do not come out like the monitor settings. I adjust them through Photoshop and test until that adjustment prints out how I want it.

Doing a gallery wrap would be fine except you would have to print the picture 2 inches wider and longer and have another 1.5 to2 inches to wrap around the back. I have stretched my own canvas and it isn't too bad once you learn ho to do it, but with a print, it is much easier using the acid free-foam board.

I think I answered all you questions. Feel free to add more if you have them.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:00 pm

This is all great information, Judy. Thanks. I was looking at those gallery wrap kits. they are pretty slick, but kind of expensive.

http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/195/
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:02 pm

"With the Epson Inkjet, I find that I don't have to alter the color on the monitor from the default setting. I did several small test prints to be sure the print was coming out as I was seeing them on the screen. "

That is very fortunate! I bought two printers recently, both Epsons. One is an all-in-one, and has a scanner that is a bit better than most. I am having one heck of a time getting the the prints to match the scan. It is a great scan, buy the way, just doesn't print out like it looks. I also bought an Epson r2000, which I think is a later version of the one you have. I am just praying that it prints what I see. I haven't put it together yet because I won't be using it right away, and don't want the ink to dry.

What kind of monitor do you have? My monitor is about 10 years old but I love it. I have a feeling it could be part of the problem, though.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi Misty,

I use a laptop computer so the monitor is attached right to it. I had an HP laptop for 5 years until it crashed last summer, and now I have an Acer Aspire. In both cases, the printed picture comes out the same as my monitor. There are ways to adjust you monitor, but I can't remember how, it has been a long time since I used something other than the laptop.

Perhaps you could talk to a technician with Epson to see what you have to do to get the scanned picture and the printed picture to come out the same.

Is the print that does come out good or is it way off from what you are trying to achieve?

Judy

Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Way, way off. My photographer friend has a "color management" set up that monitors the monitor and the printer, and makes them look the same. It's about $500. I am invested heavily into printers and ink, and just don't want to spend my money on the colormunki unless I really have to. It's encouraging that you basically have no quibble with the image that you print.

My stuff that I'm doing right now is for kids, and the colors are ramped up. If they get exaggerated some, especially in the orange range, it doesn't work well. I'm not fussy with increments of color, but when it doesn't even look believable, that's when I complain. And kid's stuff doesn't look believable anyway, but there is a limit.

I just bought a book on calibrating your monitor, and also one for Epson printing. Hopefully something will click in one of those books.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:46 pm

I wish I could help you. Does the manual that came with the printer (probably a downloadable manual) tell you about settings for you computer so it prints out right. It seems to me that there is something in "Color management" on the computer that allows you adjust it according to the printer you have.

Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Judy,

The printer manual that came with the printer is not much help. You raise a point about the computer--I will have to go into control panel to see if there is anything about color. The monitor does have some stuff you can change, but it is all greek to me. It's called calibrating, but the monitor is pretty old.

It's not that I'm not computer savvy, it's just that this color stuff is not understandable to me. If you change something, then you have to print a test print, and boy do I have a stack of test prints! I'm just going to have to read and read until it starts to make some sense, instead of randomly clicking on things.

I've gone through all of my ink and I've only had the printer for about 10 days, and they were full cartridges. This is the Artisan 835, so I'm hoping that the Epson wide format is a little more true to the color. I feel like my old HP printer was a better match, so maybe it is just the Artisan. I think part of the problem is I am dealing with 3 variables--the printer, the monitor, and the computer.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Good Luck

Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

Location Location : Northern Nevada (Reno area)

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Misty,

Adobe used to have a tool that was free that adjusted the "gamma" of your monitor. It walked you through a wizard where you adjusted the contrast and brightness on the monitor itself, then chose some special color boxes that most closely matched some gray boxes, and when you were done, your monitor was "calibrated". I haven't seen it in several years - probably since I got rid of the old CRT-based monitors (everything is LCD these days.) Now the monitors themselves have so many settings, like color temperature, as well as preset settings, that you can pretty much get it to look however you want. With a monitor that is 10 years old and a printer that is less than a year old, that is probably the majority of the problem getting colors to match.

You know, my husband was just commenting yesterday about an 18.5" widescreen LCD monitor that was only about $89, including shipping. Maybe it's worth upgrading your monitor? Wink
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Cindy,
You could be right about the monitor upgrade. I have thought about that. The thing is, I like this monitor--it is both pc and tv, and it cost a fortune 10 years ago. Did your husband mention the brand? I might consider a new monitor if I could return it. (like with Walmart) I might try and google the free adobe tool. (if it still exists) I just don't want to put more money into something if it doesn't do what I want it to.

Thanks for the ideas and the response. There was some software with the monitor that had a calibration tool, but nothing seems to help with my problem. I'm off to price monitors....
Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

Location Location : Northern Nevada (Reno area)

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Misty,

The monitor my husband found is an Acer and he found it at NewEgg.com, free shipping (NewEgg). It's definitely not one you could just return locally if it doesn't solve your problem. If you need to do that, I would stick to local stores - Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Wal-Mart, Costco, etc. Whatever stores your town might have. Here in the Reno area, we are quite limited and so buy most/all of our computer parts online.

Back to top Go down
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Cindy,

I just did a Google search on "free color calibration software" and got a number of hits. I didn't look further, but it's something you might want to take a look at.

I have a Dell monitor and an HP printer and there was a world of difference in the colors on both when compared to my original paintings. I have Spyder software/hardware and got the monitor to show colors fairly close to those of the paintings. However, with some paintings I still have difficulty getting all the color hues and values to match the paintings. Given that we are converting from paints through a camera sensor to an RGB color set for the monitor, I'm not sure that there ever can be a perfect match.

As to the printer, shoosh Rolling Eyes, I've still got a long way to go on that. Of course, now we're talking about colors printed with CMYK inks (or a laser) rather than the screen with RGB. On printers, the paper makes a big difference too. On mine there are lots of options for selecting different paper types.
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks everyone, for all of the advice. I'm going to try and solve this without spending any more money--famous last words. I know I probably need a new monitor and color management software. I bought a book from ebay about color management. We'll see what it says.

Jim, I've used various papers with the same result. This printer has more than cymk, it has two colors of cyan and two of magenta. Theoretically more colors should be better. Strangely enough, I haven't called Epson yet. I dread trying to get a live person. I have tried asking an email question and they sent me a page from the manual that I have already read.

When I googled this problem, I came up with a thread that said to turn the monitor brightness way down. I don't think that worked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself   

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on having prints made.. or doing it yourself
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1