HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Plein air pen and pencil sketches

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm

I have been doing quickie sketches during my lunch hour when time permits. Speaking of time permitting, usually if I DO get to sketch, it is for a very brief amount of time. 10 to 20 minutes has been my usual routine.
Just time to get somewhere, and draw quickly, then leave. With that in mind, here are a few "unvarnished" sketches, done with various thin markers, a thicker calligraphy marker and a graphite pencil.

10 minutes, drawn from the driver seat of my car, on a dusty country road in the middle of the woods. I would have liked to paint this one, but I will never be able to find that patch of woods again.

20 minutes, today, at a local park. I want to learn how to indicate masses, and values. PS: The lamppost really is tipping over like that.

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:04 am

Great sketches, Alan. I bet if you thought about it, you would realize that you have enough information and experience to paint either of these. It would be good practice doing something that doesn't have all the colors laid out in front of you like a photo does. This looks like a really fun way to spend your lunch time.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:31 am

I can't remember the name for it, but some watercolor artists paint scenes where only a portion of the watercolor paper is used and the surrounding area is left without paint.   Alan, your sketches reminded me of that.   I haven't seen paintings done that way with oils, but even if it isn't "traditional" it might be a very good exercise.   Your sketches are very nice indeed.

The lack of time to do the sketches is probably a good thing Very Happy.   You are concentrating on identifying the most important elements in the scene and, as you say, working on improving rendering of masses and values.   This is really great.   By the way, Johannes (the instructor in the on-line course some of us took last winter) would very much approve of the tipped lamp post.   In fact if it wasn't tipped he would say to definitely bend it in your sketch.   He feels that it detracts from the painting to have elements near the edge of the painting parallel to that edge (and having it bend into the painting is much better then bending out of it).
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:02 am

Thank you both for your comments. This week I will bring my coloured pencils along on any lunch time drawing sessions. I would like to try rendering quick colour sketches, to try to keep improving my work with masses and values. It might be maddening to start with, but it's sure to be useful in the long term in helping me 'spec' colours on the spot. Plus, no drying time!! Smile

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 pm

These are very nice sketches... I love how they exude confidence the confidence of the artist... cheers

M. Ghalib

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks M.Ghalib. I have been doing some life drawing recently, and may post some of those quick pencil sketches here once I get a chance to scan them. Nothing like drawing from life....

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 pm

I agree... these sketches have a sense of connection,.. does not look contrived... Looks bold and loose... I look forward to more of your sketches...

MG

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 am

Here is a new one, a pencil sketch on 8.5 x 11 photocopy paper. I drew with a basic carpenter pencil, then enhanced the contrast somewhat in Photoshop to make it more visible. I did 3 or 4 other quick self portraits during the same half hour sitting, using conté, but then the model started getting restless:)

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:45 pm

I love it. Great likeness. Too bad that the model got restless.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Very nice WMG... Smile You sketch pretty good. Have you tried Charcoal? Or Carbon Pencil?

Take Care

MG

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:30 pm

MG, I haven't tried charcoal recently, but have read that oil painters sometimes use it to sketch in their preliminary roughs. Hmm.

On the sketch above, I used pencil on some cheap bond paper. The conté stick I also tried made a very dark, but less forgiving line, and the results had some drawing issues, (face too wide, or features a little off, etc). One sketch was okay but looked a bit too much like a high contrast mug shot, so I didn't post that one on the internet, ha ha.

How about you? Any time working with other drawing media like stick charcoal or other pencils?

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:02 pm

MG, I haven't tried charcoal recently, but have read that oil painters sometimes use it to sketch in their preliminary roughs. Hmm.

On the sketch above, I used pencil on some cheap bond paper. The conté stick I also tried made a very dark, but less forgiving line, and the results had some drawing issues, (face too wide, or features a little off, etc). One sketch was okay but looked a bit too much like a high contrast mug shot, so I didn't post that one on the internet, ha ha.

How about you? Any time working with other drawing media like stick charcoal or other pencils?

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:52 pm

WMG,

Yes! I draw quite a bit in graphite, charcoal, pastel and carbon pencil. They are all very forgiving medium and the results with charcoal can be photo realistic. Yes! conte' sticks are sort of permanent and are not malleable.

carbon pencil is in-between graphite and charcoal. It can glide on the paper a little bit like graphite (but does not shine like graphite) and it is dark like charcoal (without the rough feel of charcoal on the paper).

I would like to see the mug shot drawing that you have done,... as well. Sometimes, I feel the artist is over critical of his/her work... You know... "The Artists Curse"... Smile.

Take Care

Faisal

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Faisal
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the mug shot drawing Smile I prefer not to upload that one right now. Maybe someday when I am in a whimsical mood, ha ha. It's a drawing that I am not really happy with, so no sense making it visible. Plus, it's another self portrait, so another reason not to want that on the internet:)

Basically it is a high contrast rendering, quite loose, with a dour expression and the usual unflattering lighting.
Picture a mug shot that has been photocopied several times into smudgy high contrast, and then posted up on a bulletin board. Run! Hide your paints!!!

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:56 pm

That is cool... Smile

Take Care

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plein air pen and pencil sketches   

Back to top Go down

Plein air pen and pencil sketches
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1