HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Summer Outing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Summer Outing   Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:03 pm

I first posted the beginnings of this painting in the July-August Challenge, but it is taking so long for me to get it done, I decided I better put it in WIP instead. I think it has been a week and a half since I started it.

I went to an art fair and met a photographer with a huge collection of loon photos he had taken. He gave me permission to paint this one if I gave him a print. His name is Joseph Woody and his website is http://www.loonphotos.com/

Here's the beginnings of the painting done on a 9 x 12 textured Ampersand board. all the paints are W/N Artisan and include cobalt blue, magenta, cad yellow light, payne's gray, titanium and zinc white.

Several days later I worked on it more.

Yesterday, I got back to it and here is the progress

Once I get the loons done, I'm going to have to make a decision about the background. Do I make it all water like the photo showed or do I put a horizon to give more feeling of distance. Either way, I've got to put motion into the water and make it feel like they are not just "floating" in the middle of a blue space. Any suggestions would be appreciated

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Finally finished. It wasn't that it was hard to do, it was just taking the time to do it. I didn't crop the picture because the woods around my porch looked so neat around the painting

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Nice, Judy. Especially like the duckling feathers. Oh, and the water. And the eyes. And...

Location Location : Northern Nevada (Reno area)

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 pm

That's really cool, Judy! I really like the purples and blues, and you did such a great job with the feathers on the adult loon!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Thank you both. I was really pleased with how fluffy the feathers came out on the baby, and I felt really lucky that the eye of the baby came out like it did. My friend, John, says it wasn't luck at all, just my talent, but I still think it was all luck.

I have painted quite a few adult loons but this time I knew a few tricks to try for getting the feathers and white dots just right. I'm still learning and when I saw someone suggest using the tip of the handle of a small paintbrush to do things like that, I just couldn't believe that I never thought of doing that myself.

Back to top Go down
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 am

I also like the not-so-definite line between the lake and the sky.   It doesn't distract the eye the way a hard line would.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Judy, this is really nice! I love the background colors and the loones and I don't think any of your paintings are just luck. I must have missed this earlier somehow. Great going.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks you both. I was wondering about the horizon line. I started to make it more distinct, but as I kept blending white into it to give the feeling of distance, the line kept disappearing. Making it more distinct just didn't feel right, especially because the view is from the "bird's eye view" right down on the water.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer Outing   

Back to top Go down

Summer Outing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1