Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Robert Hagan and PR 101

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MistyIslanddd

Robert Hagan and PR 101 Empty
PostSubject: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 pm

In Robert Hagan's book "Romantic Oil Painting Made Easy" he has two colors that he calls the "mother colors," which are light red and cobalt blue. I am assuming these are Winsor Newton colors, since some of his other color names are associated with WN. I did some research and found that light red in WN is pr 101. In his book light red looks like a vivid red, but on WN is looks more of a rust color.

What would a comparable color in WS oils be? I can't seem to find a pr 101. Holbein doesn't seem to have numbers with it's colors. I thought I would try and replicate some of Hagans paintings with WS oil, but I need that "light red" or pr 101. It almost looks like burnt sienna on WN site, but in the book it is pretty bright.

Thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 pm

You might want to take a look at Winsor Newton Artisan Indian Red. That seems to be a more reddish PR101. Cobra also has a couple of PR101s; Burnt Sienna & Transparent Red Oxide, but they look more of a orange-brown. It's easiest to go to Dickblick.com to see large patches of color. At Dickblick.com you can also look up Holbein DUOs to see their colors, and to see the pigment code, click on the the little paddle looking thing on the left hand side of the color you're interested in. Good luck!
Dayle
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi Dayle,

Thanks for steering me to that little paddle! That seems to be the only place that the numbers are listed for Holbein. Unfortunately they don't have a pr101 that is not mixed with something else. WN artisan Indian red is probably the closest in color, but I'm staying away from Artisan.

I will probably get the Cobra light oxide red. They have other names for this color, and one is light red, so that is pretty close. I was wanting to try a tube of cobra anyway. It's too bad that Jerry's doesn't have that information for Lukas Berlin. Thanks for the help.

Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Jerry's does have a pigment code for Lukas Berlin. It's to the right of the color in a yellow box, with a "T" in it. I couldn't find anything that was pure PR101, though. Maybe you'll have better luck. I stay away from Artisanas much as possible, too.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Also found that Grumbacher MAX has an Indian Red and a Venetian Red that are both PR101, and you can see them at Dickblick.com. I haven't tried Grumbacher MAX in a long time, but I remember thinking it was sticky. Good Luck,
Dayle
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 am

Dayle,

Thanks for pointing out the yellow box on Jerry's. When I looked, I didn't see any pr101 either. I would be reluctant to try Grumbachers Max because sticky is what I am trying to get away from. I have a whole set of Artisans from a few years ago when I tried WSO's and gave up on them because they were so sticky.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:32 am

Misty, Use a little walnut oil with the Artisans and they are fine for upper layers. It's a shame to just let them sit there.
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:50 am

Hi Judy,

I have tried that---they seem to be very lumpy and clumpy as well. I got them around 2006, and in spite of being kept in an airtight plastic case with the lids tightly closed, they act like 50 year old paints. If I add walnut oil and mash them down with a palette knife they are somewhat usable. It just takes away from the whole pleasant painting experience.

I have some regular oils that I bought in quantity at least ten years ago from someone on Wet Canvas, and they are still soft and nice.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:16 pm

I don't think most of mine are quite that old. sorry it doesn't work for you. Maybe some else has another suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Misty, I think I got my old Artisans around 2002, and gave up on WMOs since I couldn't paint anything with them. I still keep them because I have sooo many colors in Artisan and not everything I might need with Cobras and LB. It's been so long since I tried the Grumbacher MAX that I can't be sure that they were sticky, but I think so. Good luck.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Dayle and Judy,

I just checked, and it seems that the more I squeeze out, the less clumpy the paint further down in the tube is. I may keep them and just try to squeeze until they are somewhat smoother. I have a large titanium white tube, and that is the worst. It just will not squeeze out! I'm afraid I'm going to squeeze it until the bottom pops open! Maybe the hair drier would move things along.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Good luck with the hair dryer. I never tried that. The color I had the problem with was cobalt blue and I squeezed it out about an inch and then it was fine.
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Yep! It is the cobalt blue that is the clumpiest. The titanium white is very smooth, but extremely thick. I just can't get it out of the tube. I'm hoping that if I can get an inch out like you did, it will be fine. The cobalt had stuff that looked like the paint that dries around the outside edge, except it was inside.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 8:44 pm

I took a straightened paper clip and gradually pulled the hard stuff out. You might give that a try so you don't rupture the tube.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robert Hagan and PR 101   Robert Hagan and PR 101 Empty

Back to top Go down

Robert Hagan and PR 101
Page 1 of 1