Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trout Brook Road Church (large size)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Trout Brook Road Church (large size) Empty
PostSubject: Trout Brook Road Church (large size)   Trout Brook Road Church (large size) EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Trout Brook Road Church (large size) Troutbigfnlsnap400sm

I repainted almost all of the snow, roofs, foreground brush, and added branches.
I am happy with this one. The finished painting has strong, powerful colour and doesn't 'mess around' with stuff.
Because I repainted it while listening to Beethoven's 9th (twice), it has an interesting edge to it.

This is a basic snapshot, even a little soft Sad
I will have a chance on some nice day to take the painting outdoors and get the colour balance right.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Trout Brook Road Church (large size)   Trout Brook Road Church (large size) EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 4:29 pm

I like the crispness of the buildings against the softness of the distant trees and foreground. It still amazes me that you do a painting twice, but it sure pays off.
I'm always afraid that if I try it a second time I'll never accomplish the things I liked about the first. Neutral
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Trout Brook Road Church (large size)   Trout Brook Road Church (large size) EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 7:53 am

In case I am creating a misunderstanding here, I should mention that I used the same 24" x 36" canvas, and 'just' painted over the existing paint, essentially repainting a large portion of it. But not a whole new painting.
Sometimes it's hard to say what I wanna say...

But I like the end result. It corrects things that I hadn't liked in the earlier image. The big areas of blue on the roofs might be a bit much, but I like that they interplay with the branches. Ah, nice to be happy with a painting that for a short while was destined for tossing out.

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Trout Brook Road Church (large size)   Trout Brook Road Church (large size) EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 8:08 am

I should also mention that I do paint a study to prepare for a larger painting, so that could count as 2 paintings. I try out the colours on the small study, as it is a lot easier to mix and then wipe off the smaller amount of paint. I also like the immediacy of the small study, it has a different feel to it.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Trout Brook Road Church (large size)   Trout Brook Road Church (large size) EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 am

I was referring to the small study which is probably the smarter way to go. Either way you have done a fantastic job with this one.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Trout Brook Road Church (large size)   Trout Brook Road Church (large size) EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:04 am

Great painting! Great sense of distance and shadow and light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trout Brook Road Church (large size)   Trout Brook Road Church (large size) Empty

Back to top Go down

Trout Brook Road Church (large size)
Page 1 of 1