Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat May 2011

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

General Chat May 2011 Empty
PostSubject: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday! (An International distress signal). Here it is May, the Iris and Daylilies are starting to sprout and I haven't even clipped off last year's foliage yet General Chat May 2011 Icon_eek.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Welcome to May. Thanks Jim. Hopefully, all the April Showers bring lots of Fay flowers.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:23 am

check out the demo Callie did several years ago on thinning paint and glazing. It is now in the "Demonstration" forum

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t654-paint-thinner-and-glazing-techniques
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyFri May 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Yes, we have tons of beautiful wildflowers right now. It's real pleasure to drive anywhere, with all the fabulous scenery.
Thanks for that demo that Callie did before. I think it will really help in the future. I'm not to experienced in glazing yet, but I do paint wet on dry, so I will try it soon. Thanks Judy.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:45 am

I'm back from my cross country trip. I've posted some sunset pictures from New Mexico. Your welcome to use any of the RIL pictures as a member of the forum.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t658-new-mexico-sunsets#8661

Judy
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Those pictures of sunsets are gorgeous, Judy. Wish I was there...It's snowing here again.
Ughh! Sad
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Rain here and cooler than normal temperatures - I think we just might get to summer before spring actually arrives. But my bluebells are finally opening and everybody around here is saying that the good side of this cool spring we are having is that all the flowering bulbs are lasting so much longer - every cloud does have a silver lining. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptySun May 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Well, I'm back in the north country and after 8 months of a total 5 hours of rain, here we are now forcasted for 5 to 7 days of rain and cool temperatures. The good news is, my entire trip was rain free, flood free, and tornado free and it was 80 degrees and sunny the first day and a half back, so I could unload my RV. Also Sofie, the daffodils and tulips are still blooming. They are usually all done when I get back, so I'm enjoying the treat. I can't believe it is snowing gain in northern California. To quote you Dayle, Ughh!

Here's some sunshine for all of us! sunnysunnysunnysunnysunny
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptySun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for the sunshine, Judy.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:02 am

In this part of Wyoming it's normally time to shake off winter, go to Yellowstone and get ready to plan for the garden.   While Cody's northeast entrance opened on the 6th, it closed for a week due to four avalanches.   One was about 30 feet deep and threats of further slides kept them from trying to clear it.   It's open now, but only from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. (before the sun warms things and increases the likelihood of more slides).   And the forecast is more snow up there over the next few days.  

We are free of snow down here, but haven't seen the sun much lately.   Down south of Jackson Hole a landslide has closed a road.   It's still moving and they can't do anything about it until it stabilizes on it's own (there's too much water seeping down on and below the ground).

An hour east of us one of the roads up to the Big Horn Mountains is closed in winter.   It's usually opened by Memorial Day.   However a month or so ago a landslide dumped lots of rocks on it and the cliff above is now unstable.   It'll probably be at least mid-June before they can fix it.   This is my favorite road to the Big Horns and the areas I especially like to paint.

In some places in Wyoming the snow pack measures 200% of normal.   They are letting lots of water out of reservoirs in Wyoming in anticipation of record snow melt later on.   Just up the road from us, the reservoir was down 37 feet a week or so ago and has dropped more since then.   And we can see new snow building on the higher mountains beyond it.   A fair part of Wyoming's snow melt will end up in the Missouri and that in turn will dump into the Mississippi.   Hopefully the current floods down there will have subsided before this happens.

Lots of distractions Crying or Very sad.   I've got to get back to painting!!!!
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:46 am

Sorry to hear about all the snow and destruction in your area, Jim. I'm close to Yosemite, and many areas have been shut down inside the park. Two of the roads in have been closed down to the entrance, but I think it's down to just one road being shut down, now. I don't know if this is due to our destructive ways with the earth, or simply due to the earth changing as it has in the past, but I hope it stops soon.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Some of my neighbors are still feeling the effects of the flooding here in northern NY. This whole year has been a story of too much snow and too much rain all around most of the country. All we can do is keep painting all the beautiful landscapes we photographed when we were able to get to them.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:51 am

I've managed to apply a pencil sketch to a couple of canvases. I say "managed", because I am having a hard time tearing myself away from other concerns long enough to open a tube of paint.
This will be two paintings of the same scene, on a small and larger canvas. I found an interesting image to work with, and it's in a proportion ratio of 1:3 (the larger canvas is 12" x 36")

I am finding that doing a small preliminary painting allows me to keep things really loose, I can zip through it with minimal paint mixing and quicker transitions between edges of objects, etc.
which helps me when I stand in front of the larger canvas.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:48 am

Sounds like a good idea. I'm experimenting with doing a painting in Corel 11 and then on canvas. I tend to be a lot looser in Corel so I hope I can carry it through on the canvas.

I can't wait to see what you are working on.
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Happy and safe Memorial Day weekend to all here in the US and belated happy Victoria Day weekend to all in Canada.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks Jim, You too! Hope the rain stops someplace in the country so everyone can have their cookouts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat May 2011   General Chat May 2011 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat May 2011
Page 1 of 1