Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat April 2011

Go down 
+2
judyfilarecki
Sofie
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

General Chat April 2011 Empty
PostSubject: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 11:52 am

According to my calendar it's April now! Wink
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 1:43 pm

You're right. It snuck right in. Happy Spring everybody.

Judy
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Sofie and I have been discussing some changes with Janet and Callie reducing their involvement.

We were wondering if any of you who are active in the forum, would be interest in joining us as a moderator. We are also looking for some ideas for additions to the forum which would encourage more involvement by registered members.

We are looking into doing some polls to identify some areas of interest by members. One suggestion has been made to start a monthly demonstration of a technique presented by different members. I'll put a poll together with more details to see what kind of response we get.

As many of you have stated, this is a fun and friendly forum. I also add "informative" to my description. We need help from all of you for us to keep it that way.

Feel free to post here or in a PM to Sofie and I, if you have any comments or suggestions.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi Judy. I can understand that it would be good to have some changes - hard to manage a great site without help.

I am not sure what i can do - I work full time and am away most of the summer but let me know if there is a role where i can help.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks Dale,

As we get more responses, we'll see where different people fit in.

judy
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for the PM, Jim. I appreciate the response.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 am

Hi Judy
I'm pretty happy with the site the way it is, but any new initiatives are very welcome.

One suggestion I would make is a section where we could post URLs of websites of painters whose work we like. I often look at painting websites, from links I see in magazine ads and articles. I am fascinated by how many good painters there are out there, and what I can learn from them. And then I get all enthusiastic and want to share the site addresses.

A monthly techniques posting would be excellent, as long as there are people who want to take it on.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:10 am

Alan,

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll look into it as we get more suggestions.

My thoughts on the monthly demo is that members be encouraged to volunteer a short demo of some specialty they have...maybe it is the mixing of a special color you use, how you make reflections in water, or ripples, something special you do in preparing your canvas, preparing different painting surfaces, special brushes you use to achieve a certain effect. The demo's could be just a series of pictures showing the steps of the process or a short video, slide show or power point presentation...what ever works for you. No one person would be expected to do all the demos.

Hope that helps.

Judy
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:52 am

Alan and everyone else,

I followed Alan's suggestion and opened up a new topic.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/f50-recommended-reading-and-viewing

Start a new post for each recommendation and title it so people can easily find the recommendation.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Judy;
Wow, that was quick! Much appreciated. I will be sure to make use of the topic!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks for posting so quickly to it. I see Jack posted also. While I was at it, I figured how to make my signature smaller. It's been something I've meant to do for a long time but just never got to. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Thanks for setting that up so quickly Judy! It looks like it's going to be a good resource. Smile
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Yes, I like this new site. Thanks everyone, it's already very interesting.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 am

My wife and I kind of goofed off a bit Saturday and missed the color harmony webinar Embarassed (I'll offer our excuse later below).   Both of us had some trouble understanding the handout for it, and while we did "attend" the Sunday demo session, we ended up not feeling entirely comfortable with the color theory presented.   We have glanced at the class notes, but haven't had time to review them closely yet.   For those WSO forum members taking the course and that didn't play hookey, did Saturday's class provide information that that made the subject clearer and do you feel comfortable with it?

Color theory is something that interests both of us a lot.   We didn't really want to miss this session, but there was a reception and awards ceremony for a show at an art guild in Red Lodge, Montana.   I had two of my paintings juried into it and felt kind of obligated to go.   Kind of glad I did now.   My painting "Clear and Cold" won first place Shocked,Surprised,Very Happy.   While talking about the show's paintings and his award decisions the judge kept pointing out things in paintings that could be improved and while his terms were different it was like listening to an abbreviated version of many aspects of the webinar.   That made it even more surprising to me that my painting got the award Laughing.   Artwise this past year has been a bit rough, so getting the award was a much needed boost.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Congratulations, Jim!!
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Congratulations on the first place, Jim. You did a great job with that painting, and really deserved some cudos on it.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 pm

That is so wonderful. Jim! good job
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:33 am

That is great, Jim. I love your style of painting.

I saw the entire webinar Saturday and there were some key points I found valuable. I'll look over my notes and the class notes and see if there is something that might summarize some of it for you.

On Sunday, I painted along with him but with acrylics. I tried using watercolor techniques with the acrylics and came up with quite a bit of mud. I added a little burnt sienna to the cobalt blue like he suggested for the sky, but it looked terrible. We do have cobalt blue skies out here in AZ and also northern NY that change to pale ultramarine as it gets closer to the horizon. That is what I see with my own eyes, not with the camera.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 am

Thank you all; I'm still going around with a warm little smile on my face.

Judy, I agree about skies.   I remember that in Vermont (where the photo for the painting was taken) you also can get almost pure-blue skies.   Three or four days of 10 to 20 below 0 Fahrenheit (-23 to -29 Centigrade) at night and "warming" to 0 F during the day with a strong high sitting over the land and the sky is blue!!!   In fact those were the conditions when I took that photo.   In doing the sky for it I started with Cerulean Blue very quickly blended into Cobalt Blue and with a slower transition into Ultramarine Blue.   I did add just a touch of Lemon Yellow to the Cerulean, but just along the ridge line.   In the past I was out in Vermont winters cutting firewood often enough to know two things; at times there are pure blue skies, and neither chainsaws nor humans work that well at 10 below Laughing.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:29 am

Congratulations Jim.

I did attend the Saturday webinar and found it so so. I read alot on color so was familiar with it. What I did pick up was to avoid the grasses in the foreground. Unfortunately, that is what I have in the Meenan's Cove painting. So I removed them (for the most part) and guess what - it looks a lot better. I am finishing the painting tonight so will post the final (I think) later. I am never satisfied.

I left the webinar early on Sunday. Honestly - I cannot listen to Kenny talk. He speaks so quickly and without any emphasis or pauses that I get totally lost and by the comments - so do others.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 am

I have several paintings that I have posted photos of progress so wouldn't mind posting some in a demo.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Dale,

That sound good. We're still in the planning stage so hold on to that thought, and once we are a little more organized ?????? we'll try to set up a schedule for different people. First I've got to get a poll posted to see if there is enough interest.

I just posted the painting I did in class on Sunday. I'll put it in water-mixable mixup for our members to see. I did it in acrylics and had to do quite a bit of revision today to clear up some of the mud. It is still not quite the style I'm used to. Here's the link

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t636-jo-v-class-landscape#8545
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:20 pm

I agree about Kenny (plus he talks too long).

For those not familiar with the classes, they are very worthwhile, even though there are some things that some of us disagree with or would rather see done in a different way.   I'm guessing that Johannes (see http://www.cyberartlearning.com/ ) will be offering more classes in the near future.   While I am going to take a break from them (spring cleanup is calling), I think he has a lot to offer and they are a great opportunity.   Dale, thanks again for calling attention to them.

Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 am

I also take part in the free webinars offered through artists networks.com. On the 19th they ar offering one on drawing faces.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 5:22 pm

When you all get a chance, would you respond to the POLL forum I have set up. I know several of you have already responded but if it all gets collected in one place, it will be easier for me to organize. Thanks

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/f51-polls
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat April 2011   General Chat April 2011 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat April 2011
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next