Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Toxic Free Oil Painting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joanieART

joanieART

Location Location : Santa Rosa, CA

Toxic Free Oil Painting Empty
PostSubject: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi folks,

I've been trying to put a ws oil palette together without cadmiums and cobalts. Anyone else tried this?

So far here's what i've got:

COLOR PALETTE I USE

this changes frequently, but for now i’m experimenting with this split primary palette:

RED – warm: Napthol Red (Grumbacher), I’m also thinking of trying Cobra Pyrrole Red Lt – to replace cadmium red

RED – cool: Thalo Red Rose (Grumbacher), or Aliz Crimson, or Permanent Rose

YELLOW – cool: Primary Yellow Light (Cobra) – to replace cadmium yellow

YELLOW – warm: I’m thinking about adding Indian Yellow (Cobra)

BLUE – warm: Ultramarine (Holbein is what i have on hand)

BLUE – cool: Phthalo Blue red shade which is still Greenish (Cobra) * potent

———————-

Additions I like

GREEN – just love Sap Green - a great mixer.

ORANGE - i prefer mixing my ORANGE , keeping it simple. Though I have my eye on Permanent Orange by Cobra.

PURPLE - i prefer mixing my PURPLE for now. Dioxazine Purple is a great pigment, Grumbacher Max has one.

EARTH – raw umber, sometimes others – yellow ochre, raw sienna, burnt sienna and burnt umber. These can be mixed with a split primary palette.

BLACK – I have Spinel Black (Holbein), I really love black, so shoot me! : )

WHITE – Titanium – can’t paint in oils without White!

-------------------

I've added a bunch of ws oil info on my site here
http://www.artforthesoulofit.com/2011/02/03/why-i-use-water-soluble-oils/

-------------------

I'm excited to hear if anyone else is working on eliminating the more toxic pigments from their palette.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:56 pm

I use to work with only non-toxic pigments but have started adding some toxic pigments to my palette. Just a few colors that I just really liked.
Back to top Go down
joanieART

joanieART

PostSubject: Re: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:05 pm

It's such a personal decision. I'm still using what I've got, which includes cobalts and cads, but will replace them. It's been fun to try out new reds and yellows to see if they will really do the job.

I have a tendency to stick my fingers in my paintings, and just make a mess, so if I'm going to be covered with paint most of the time, seems best to me to stay clear of the tubes with warnings. That's just me. I also don't use gloves, they feel creepy to me somehow *(aren't we humans a strange lot!) and I tend to rub my brushes on my palm while cleaning. Probably not recommended. So for all these reasons, the nontoxic seem best, for me.

So, do you pour your water down the sink after painting? I do, since i wipe my brushes clean before even dipping them in the water to rinse, is that ok? Folks using solvents have to wait for pigment to settle, pour off the turps into yet another jar....I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. And certainly no pouring it into the sink.

Really like the hole "Green" thing for my studio, and I'm continually learning more. Like paper towels, just ripping them into quarter sheets work for my style, as usually it's just a brush tip that i'm cleaning off and I find I don't need a whole sheet for that.

So what pigments can't you live without, is it the cads??? They are unrivalled. : )
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi Joanie,

I was looking at the color chart I received with my paint order and see that the pyrrole red light is a red orange which is slightly more yellow than the cad red light. The pyrrole red light is semi opaque while the cad red light is opaque.

I've used the pyrrole red in the picture below which is very close to the cad red medium. It was painted with the sample I received of pyrrole red, pr254 and is semi-opaque.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f34/14/54/93/58/flower10.jpg

I also have the permanent yellow light, PY154, which is very similar to the primary yellow, PY184 and Py154. I've used it in another painting. They are both warmer than the cad yellow lemon but not as warm as the cad yellow medium. Adding a little pyrrole red warmed it up nicely in places where I wanted it warmer and I was happy to not be dealing with the cadmium.

I like the idea of the "green" studio and am working toward that also.

Judy
Back to top Go down
joanieART

joanieART

PostSubject: Re: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 pm

OOOh, lovely painting of that flower, Judy. Could you send me a swatch of your Pyrrole red light? is is similar to the dickblick swatch? I considered trying that over the Grumbacher Red, but the grumbacher was a single pigment whereas the Pyrrole was two if I remember correctly, maybe a red and yellow, or a red and orange? Anyway, worth a try, and like the G red, i believe that is semi opaque, but it's rich and i really love it.

The yellows are a bit harder to get the opacity to replace the cads I'm finding. I have the Indian Yellow on order as I just love the yellow orange, and its trans for glazing. I haven't glazed much at all, but want to try it.

Of the yellows you have, non cads, which one do you think is the closest to a viable substitute? I've just begun working with the prim yellow lite and it is a very clean mixer.....so far so good!

Great chatting about this stuff!!!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi Joanie,

I don't have the Pyrrole red light, but it does appear to be more in the red orange range. PR254 and PO43. Here's a link to cobra where you can click on the color and get the information plus see how they compare.

http://www.cobra.royal-talens.com/4/colours.html

That's probably a better display than I could send. Hope it helps.

Judy
Back to top Go down
joanieART

joanieART

PostSubject: Re: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 11:50 pm

OOh, I hadn't seen that cobra color chart, i always go to dickblick and open up a zillion tabs and compare colors that way. Thanks! I was surprised the other day to open up Grumbacher Max colors and see lots of 65 and CL warnings, many fewer for Cobra. And Artisan had some traditionally CL colors that were not marked as such, I think they were cobalt and cerulean. Quite a surprise, and I may email Winsor Newton and ask about that.

The Cobra line has a Lemon Yellow that looks yummy, I must have missed that. But I have to say that the primary yellow lite is as true a yellow as they come, not seeming to lean green or orange. I was hoping maybe that i could use one yellow for awhile and see how it goes. But of course i ordered the indian yellow....just an art supply junkie. LOL.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toxic Free Oil Painting   Toxic Free Oil Painting Empty

Back to top Go down

Toxic Free Oil Painting
Page 1 of 1