Share | 

General Chat August 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 am

loved the photo and the birthday concept, now all I need to know is what a cadbury is, besides a chocolate bar. Wink
Back to top Go down
kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:55 am

I was hoping you would ask Sofie. I consider my wife to be a fruit and nut case.
very funny
Jack
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:39 am

One of the best chocolate bars in existence - you're a lucky guy, Jack. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Hello. I am back from vacation - rested and well satisfied with the amount of painting I got done. Not too much to show off because i had 6 canvases on the go at the same time. I am trying to build up the depth in the skies and water meaning lots of layers and waiting for a little drying time in between: thus 6 very unfinished paintings.

we had a lovely side trip to Lunenburgh, Nova Scotia and got some lovely coastal boat photos. Will post my "in progress" works but don't expect too much at this point.

Missed everyone.
Back to top Go down
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:05 am

Hi Dale! Welcome back! Missed you. group hug

Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Yes, we're glad you're back and glad you had a good time. Can hardly wait to see your new works.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Glad to see you back Dale! cheers
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 am

Yes, Welcome back Dale....so glad it was restful and by the sounds of it also eventful in the painting area– six started, great…. looking forward to seeing your pictures and eventually some of the six started paintings – Although you had a nice trip -- I bet it's feels good to be home.
Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 am

Home? Yes - it is nice but we were back at the cottage for the weekend where I worked on my painting of the Upham Stream again. I found a great way to transport my paintings under a particular size. I had gone to Staples Office Supplies and they gave me a bunch of their boxes they store large paper in. The are about 2 inches high That way, I can stack then in the back seat on top of one another and theya re nice and light. Someone else suggested large pizza boxes.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I always have to take thatinto consideration when travel back and forth.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Out painting at my Tuesday night group. I don't take my oils as they only paint in watercolour there so not sure what I will be doing.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm

You can show us what you do in the water mixable mix-up area. Have fun
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:51 pm

The weather is starting to break, now. down from 27-30 c to 18-20 c and a few showers. We certainly need the rain, but I never like to think that summer is coming to an end. I have a free evening and morning as my grandson went to a friend's for a sleepover, but I'm plum out of canvases, so I can't start a new painting. Sad
Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:48 pm

I can't believe I just dragged my friend through the heavy underbrush to get my quarterly photo of the Upham Stream. i could have used a machete. Then I found out we could have climbed down over the hill to get where we wanted to go instead of down the road, through the field, thrugh the bushes and more bushes. and the water was so low and brown and so mush growth on either side, I think it will be a lousy painting to try.

But we did geet photos of a suspension bridge (After we found out the large dog barking at us wasn't going to eat us), a covered bridge with lots of swimmers, another stream with a a beaver house and photos of men and machines haying.

My arms are scratched up. I need a shower. But I had a great time.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:33 am

It sounds like the excursion paid off as a great photo shoot. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Judy

Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:06 pm

What I find is so interesting is how a blah photo can be turned into a piece of art. That is why I love it when people post the photos of their subject matter. I find we can learn a lot from it.
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Dale. When I go out with the plein-air group, I spend more time than anything looking for a good scene to paint, while some of them get right to it painting "nothing"- views I wouldn't even bother photographing, they turn into works of art! So I love seeing the photos that inspire the finished paintings. Very Interesting cyclops

Since it seems Janet is still out of town (at camp?), I put up an Art History Mystery Challenge painting... let's not get rusty while she's away! Let's see who knows their stuff - or knows Mr. Google really well Laughing
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi everyone! Smile

Callie, Thank you for doing the AHM Challenge! Sorry I wasn't back on time to get it up. This summer is turning to being a busy and unpredictable time. Our dog is having problems with hip dysplasia and the camp is easier on her because their just isn't that many stairs for her to climb. Her eyesight is starting to go as well.

susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Janet, did you win a Cobra starter set? If so, do know how long it takes for it to be delivered?
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Janet! Hey - you can get in on the AHM Challenge this week Very Happy
Having had a few elderly (and one blind) dog over the last several years, I can highly recommend a ramp if there are stairs/steps to go in and out of the house. Much easier on those old arthritic hips. Our blind dog preferred the ramp also (he would stumble on the stairs).
We left the ramp in place after they all had passed on because the 2 pugs we have now use it. They're both half blind so their depth perception is not so good. They don't like stairs at all.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Susan I did win a set. Gee I can't remember how long it took. May have been about 2-3 weeks. Smile

Hi Callie! I did do a little searching but looks like as usual you picked something that is going to be challenging.

Thank you for the great advice. We did make a ramp but it's mostly going upstairs to bed which has two flights of several stairs that is the real challenge. Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 am

Janet, there's a good reason we have pugs now. I had to make a new "rule" - we can't have any dogs too big for me to pick up and carry when they get old and arthritic, or need to be put in the car for vet visits. We did get a cloth sling with handles to help our last large dog (arthritis, hip displaysia) get up and down stairs. You wrap it around dog's waist close to the back legs and bring the handles together over the dog's back so you can hold up the back end and take some weight off the back legs. This also made it possible for her to do her business outside, I could give her some support her so her legs wouldn't collapse under her.

By the way... Someone needs to solve the Art History Mystery Challenge. The week's almost over scratch
Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:32 am

Back to the cottage this weekend. may try to paint on one of the pieces. I am keen to get them finished because i am totally inspired to paint still life for a while. I checked out some of the realism artist on the International Guild of realism and was blown away. A local artist is offering a glazing workshop this fall and I may check it out.
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 pm

I hope you get time to work on those paintings, Dale. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm

I had a wonderful weekend atthe cottage. It was hot, sunny and we had great company. Did i swim? no. Did I entertain our guests? no. Did I prepare any food? nope. it is a good thing our friends and my very patient husband are used to me.

I spent my weekend - or most of it, hunkered down at the table surrounded by easels, lighting, paints, brushes and a strange box made out of whatever i could grab to create backgrounds and shadows on my subjects.

I posted my art work in progress - onions and bottles (2 paintings)

Hope everyone else had a productive weekend. Or maybe you are nicer to the people around you than i am.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   

Back to top Go down

General Chat August 2010
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next