A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Getting shadow down before they are gone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Getting shadow down before they are gone   Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 pm

I was always threatened by the changing light and shadows when considering painting plein air. I was very dependent on photos to capture the shadow. But, I took the advise of people doing plein air on a regular basis and roughly painted in all dark areas first. It looked really weird, but when I started doing the trees, I knew exactly where one tree started and another one ended.

I found that I didn't worry about the shadows changing, because I had already marked their placement in. It meant that I didn't have to focus so much on tree placement as I painted, but more on what colors and shapes I was seeing.

I also found that I could compare values of light as I went along and make adjustments on the spot.

This could be addictive especially if the weather is as pleasant as it was today.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Getting shadow down before they are gone   Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Judy, Thank you for sharing your findings on painting plein air! Sounds like a very good way of approaching a painting plein air. Smile

Getting shadow down before they are gone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1