Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tuesday Evening Paintings

Go down 
+5
Dana C
judyfilarecki
Dale
Janet
Sofie
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Tuesday Evening Paintings Empty
PostSubject: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Tuesday Evening Paintings 36236_405924135994_535710994_4886674_950589_n

Every Tuesday evening, weather permitting, a group of us go to locations around the Comox Valley to plein air paint. We paint for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours and then finish off at the pub. The Tuesday before I went on my road trip we went to a farm that we often paint at - here's me painting. I had my 4 y/o grandson with me and he took the picture.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Tuesday Evening Paintings 30931_401987095994_535710994_4777735_7192312_n

Here's the completed painting. It's painted with artisans on an 11x14 canvas. It was actually painted over another painting that I scrubbed out - I used what was left of the other painting and a thin wash of sienna for the base, which shows through in places. I only worked on this for about 45 minutes, then took my grandson for a walk along the fields - he finished his paintings in about 5 minutes. Wink
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:44 am

Sofie, Beautiful painting! The Sienna that you used for the wash worked very well! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Congrats to the successful photographer as well!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:39 pm

Tuesday Evening Paintings 26710_407703085994_535710994_4931903_4841871_n

Last night I did this whole post and then lost my connection and lost it all. I went out painting at a place called Goose Spit, so I had a chance to try water once more. This time I got smart and placed the horizon line low - that way I had way less water to paint. Wink This photo is way too blue - I lent my sister my camera so I had to dig my old one out and it just goes crazy on the blue. This was painted on an 11x14 canvas - the one I'd painted the week before, with the painting washed off while still wet. I used cerulean blue hue, prussian blue, dioxazine purple, raw sienna, cad yellow pale hue, naples yellow and titanium white. This took about 40 minutes. If you look closely you'll see some grainy texture. My grandson was playing with his sand toys and accidentally sprayed my canvas. Wink
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 8:31 pm

The sand just adds realism to the painting.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 12:24 am

I think I might be able to dust most of it off when the painting dries - I'll keep you posted. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 9:50 am

Sofie - You're good, only 45 min. I guess with a little one that's about all the time you have and then that's pushing it -- they do get antsy.

Thank you for sharing -- love seeing your work.

I do have a question when you paint over another piece do you usually sand it down some in between the base?
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks Dana

I'm still experimenting with painting over the wso - with acrylics it's so easy just to slap on a coat of gesso, but can't do that with oils. Luckily, wso paint washes off really well, even after a couple of months. I just pop it in my sink and use warm water and soap and a scrub brush. There is staining left behind on the canvas, but I usually incorporate that in a thin base wash of colour. I haven't painted over anything that's more than 6 months old yet, but I think a sanding would help, especially if the paint is thick. For some paitings I don't mind a bit of texture underneath anyway.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Sofie,

Thank you that's great information....I would have never thought to put it in the sink and scrub the canvas right there, then you just hang it up to dry -- lol.

Thank you again---it is wonderful to have you all and the help, information, and encouragement --- You are GREAT!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 am

Sofie I'm astonished at your fortitude, being able to concentrate with a young one running around. How about letting us see your Grandson's paintings, a five minute painter eh!
artist
Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:33 am

Sofie, the colors are beautiful! Smile
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Both of your paintings are great! Thanks for the info on scrubbing the paint off the canvas. That gives me a better excuse to buy good canvases--in the long run they may be cheaper.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:34 am

Thanks everybody. I'll try to get a better photo of the blue one - I have my camera back now.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:39 am

Tuesday Evening Paintings 33404_409865505994_535710994_4989959_2666548_n

Here is tonight's location shot. It was such a beautiful evening - still very hot in the sun so everyone found a shady spot except me. I just ensured that I was looking away from the sun. This location is a small slough right in town where people moor their boats. I didn't want to attempt a boat painting in the short space of time available, so I painted the trees on the far bank - the rising slope of park behind the trees was all lit up by the sun. In this photo you cannot see the reflections in the water or the details on the bank.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:50 am

Tuesday Evening Paintings 33404_409865510994_535710994_4989960_6279711_n

This shows my set up. I sat on the cement and made my easel short. I had my paints on the grass beside me. It was quite cosy. My canvas is 12"x12" and I put a light wash of magenta and cad yellow hue mixed (thinned with odourless solvent) I used cerulean blue and titanium white for the sky. The other colours I used were prussian blue, diox purple, cad yellow light hue, lemon yellow, naples yellow, raw sienna, and burnt umber.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:51 am

Tuesday Evening Paintings 33404_409865515994_535710994_4989961_523052_n

The finished painting - it probably took 1 1/4 hrs.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 3:35 am

Very Impressionist. I can tell you enjoyed this it comes across in the free style
Jack
thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:12 am

I love it! Very nice broken color and variation of color! Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:23 am

Great job. The sailboat would have taken away from this painting. Looks like fun.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 am

I love looking at the site and then the finished painting. One of my holdbacks from trying the plein aire is that I look out and have ahard time imagining a painting - even though it may be beautiful scenery, I need to find a way of limiting my focus.

Congrats
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:00 pm

I started using an 8 x 10 mat board with a 5 x 7 opening, and I hold it up and survey the scenery until I see one that looks good. I guess this is the same thing I do with my camera so I can paint from photos..
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks everybody. I really enjoyed doing this.

Dale - limiting the focus is really the key. I think I managed it much better this time than some of the others. What Judy said about using a frame to find your composition works for lots of people. Others draw thumbnails that eliminate certain elements until they find what works for them, then use the thumbnail as a reference along with the view. Smile

Now I'm inspired to get out and paint which is a good thing because I'm registered for a painting around town event next week - 2 full days in a nice location in town in conjunction with market days where they close off the main shopping street in the old part of town and fill it with vendors and musicians and artists.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Sophie - good luck with the event.

And I will try the mat board idea. Thanks
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 8:30 am

Sofie, I love what you were able to paint in just over an hour! The sky is very interesting, with its many colours.
in your latest plein air, did you sketch the composition with a wash first, or "rough in" areas with full strength paint?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings Empty

Back to top Go down

Tuesday Evening Paintings
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next