HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Cerulean Blue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Not sure if there is a specif topic already on brands and colours? When buying cerulean blue - what brand do people chose and which is better hue? for its cost and safety or the pure pigment?

Please feel free to move this to an appropriate area in the site if needed.

Dale
Back to top Go down
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:57 am

Hi Dale! I split off your inquiry into a new topic to make it easier to find.

Here's a bit of info on the Cerulean Blues for the most common brands:

Holbein Duo Aqua
Cerulean Blue - PB35 -

Toxicity
Cerulean Blue is moderately toxic if inhaled or ingested and slightly toxic if it comes into contact with skin.

Cerulean Blue Hue - PB29, PB15, PW6

Toxicity
No significant hazards

Winsor & Newton Artisan
Cerulean Blue - PB35 -

Toxicity
Cerulean Blue is moderately toxic if inhaled or ingested and slightly toxic if it comes into contact with skin.

Cerulane Blue Hue - PB36, PW4 -

PB36 Toxicity
Cobalt salts are toxic when ingested or inhaled, and slightly toxic on contact with the skin. Evidence of Chromium(III) carcinogenicity is inconclusive. Chromium(III) salts appear in greenish pigments.

Grumbacher Max
Cerulean Blue - PB35 -

Toxicity

Lukas Berlin
Cerulean Blue (hue) - PB16, PW4

Toxicity: Phthalo Blues have no significant hazards

Janet

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:03 am

I chose to go with the Holbein single pigment Cerulean Blue even though it's moderately toxic. I didn't like the Hue which has three pigments. I mostly avoid Cadmiums and I'm careful to wash my hands whenever I take a break or I'm finished painting.

I was surprised that both the single pigment and Hue for the Artisan contain toxic pigments.

dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:05 am

Cerulean is the pigment I use as a measure the pricing of a company's product line compared to others or their own regular oil line.

PB35 (cobalt stannate with tin) is considered the genuine article, PB36 (cobalt chromium with aluminum) is cheaper to manufacture so it tends to appear more frequently and is slightly more greenish.
Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm

I use cerulean primarily for skies and for flicking across a sunlit area to provide some harmony between the sky and ground. not sure if this is right but I tend to like the results.

I just wasn't sure if the quality issue justified the higher price.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:37 pm

One of my art teachers taught us to mix a Cerulean Blue hue, using Ultramarine Blue with just a touch of Pthalo Green (yellow shade). I've never seen a reason to purchase a tube of Cerulean Blue since the color is such a close match.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Good suggestion. Thanks for sharing. Hey, I just noticed you are from Snowie, California, is that really the name or just a description Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:30 am

Crystal1 wrote:
One of my art teachers taught us to mix a Cerulean Blue hue, using Ultramarine Blue with just a touch of Pthalo Green (yellow shade)...

Both of those are darker and more saturated than genuine cerulean. Also, if you buy two or more colors to make one, then you're not saving much.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:17 am

Judy: No, the town is not called Snowy, but it sure snows a lot here. We are in a very small town near Yosemite, California on the Sierra-Nevada mountain range in eastern California. It stays sunny year round more along the Pacific Ocean coast line.

dbclemons: You're right it is darker, and we also add white (I forgot). The colors are all part of a basic pallete of cad yellow light, cad red light, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine blue, Pthalo Green(YS), and white, and he used it with something called J. Alpers Color Chart. Our teacher was very good at teaching us to mix colors. I still add a few more convenience colors, but this is very easy for me to use and I don't have to think much about mixing any more.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Dale

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for the info Dayle. I will try that.
Back to top Go down
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I have tried Artisan Cerulean, Duo Aqua Cerulean and Cerulean Hue, Max Cerulean and Lukas Berlin Cerulean. My main criteria for selecting a color is how it fits in with all the others in my palette. For skies I started with Artisan's; French Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue and Cerulean Blue (occasionally with a little lemon yellow). I have now switched from the Artisan to the Duo Aqua Cerulean.

I don't use tube greens. Instead I add various yellows to the above blues. I have since added Artisan Phthalo Blue (RS), which with Lemon Yellow gives me greens similar to Viridian, but stronger than tube Viridian.

I noticed that I was using a LOT of Artisan Cerulean and, noting various forum comments on student versus artist grades of WMOs, tried the other Ceruleans. I got similar mixing results with Artisan and Duo Aqua Ceruleans, but used about 1/3 less of the Duo to get those results. Even though the Duo is more expensive, it is worth it to me (less time wasted replenishing the palette, etc.).

I found that the Duo Cerulean Hue fell between the Artisan and its Duo brother. Max Cerulean is too warm for my use and the Lukas seemed a bit muddy to me.

However, I strongly believe that what works for one may not for another. How a color fits in with the other colors in the palette is the important thing. Putting it another way, similar results may be attainable with different palettes .
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:48 am

Jim, great review on the different Cerulean Blues! So the higher pigment load of the artist grade = a little goes a long way. I had read this but was not sure to what extent it was true. The only difference would appear to be that you would use less paint. Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cerulean Blue   

Back to top Go down

Cerulean Blue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1