HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

General Chat November - December 2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:23 am

Sofie, That's a fantstic idea! You're very creative! I love your painting! The details are wonderful and it does convey a romantic style! Smile

Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:00 am

I like the calendar idea (if I ever have 12 paintings I'm satisfied with!).
Nice painting, Sophie. It has a Arts & Crafts/Art Deco feel to it.
Janet - The "other half" got to go to China with an exchange program through his MBA class. They spent 2 weeks in Shanghai & Beijing, while the Chinese students just got to spend 2 weeks in St. Louis Sleep
So many photos to go through - I hope some will work for the Image Library.

So far' it's not raining, so I'm going to get my painting gear and get out of here.
"See" you all later!
Back to top Go down
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks Janet and Callie

Callie - what a great experience for your husband. I'd love to go to China someday. You might think it was boring for the Chinese students to just get 2 weeks in St Louis, but I'll bet they loved it. Wink

Good luck with your plein air outing.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Callie, Your husband is lucky! Have fun painting! Smile

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi everyone thought I would upload a few images of my Christmas projects, these are easy and fun to make, everyone gets a home made gift and I still get to be creative. This years I did plaques and I cheated a little by getting a stamp for the lettering, other plaques I have made I stamped each letter individually but to save time I decided to go this way. Last years ornaments were more fun as each one was different but we have had a year and to save my sanity I went this way.

Back to top Go down
Dawn

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Last years

Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Dawn - Those are wonderful!!! What are they made from (ceramic, metal...)?
Do you make jewelry also? Love these!
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Dawn, Great gifts! They're so pretty! Smile

Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:57 pm

Cool!!!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:48 pm

Really beautiful. I bet everyone really enjoyed them last year and will appreciate the ones this year.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Dawn

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 am

They are made from polymer clay, sculpty, premo etc... just make and bake. I use mostly white clay as I like to paint them myself but you can get them in all kinds of colors. I’ve not made jewelry yet but I did make some wine charms for someone and she said they have held up and believe me they have gotten a lot of use, Lol
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:41 am

That polymer clay is a lot of fun. I got some and spent an afternoon with my grand kids creating all sort of neat things. They was 4 and 6 at the time and loved it.

judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks for sharing those with us. That looks like a fun project. Your designs are great - so creative.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi everyone! Hope everything is going well. The snow has arrived. Now I'm getting into that Christmas mood. This is going to be the first Christmas without our daughter living at home. I'm new to the whole empty nester thing and I must say it's a little weird. Oh well I guess I'll get use to it.

Some of you might have noticed the bot thing at the bottom of the page. This is normal and it's the way that Google etc indexes sites so when someone searches a term your sites info will be included. So welcome to the site bots.

I wasn't feeling very well the last few days but as you can see I'm feeling better. Yak...yak...yak Sorry about that I'm making up for lost time. Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:09 am

Will your daughter still be in the area, close enough to visit? Is she going to school?
We finally got some cold weather. My painting buddies want to paint at the coffee shop tomorrow rather than outside with the plein air group. I'm undecided - it will be below freezing in the morning, but they're going to a great spot over looking the river.... then again, hot cider and no wind sounds good!
Guess I'll sleep on it
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 am

Callie, yes she's is still in town. Thank goodnes. She's is going to school and taking Business Marketing. How many people do you have in your painting group? Have fun painting! Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:14 pm

That's nice, she'll be there for the holidays

There are 3 of us usually, and 3 others that come and go. I'm sure we could get a few more to paint with us, but we don't want to over-run the coffee shop. And we only invite water mixable oil painters - no fumes for other customers!

I'm just setting up to paint there now. I'm going over to the challenge thread to put the landscape photo up to paint from.

"See" you all later!
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Janet - I'm glad you're feeling better. So, is the snow here to stay? It's nice that your daughter still lives in the same town as you.

Callie - the coffee shop sounds like the ideal place to paint from in freezing weather. They don't mind you setting up your easels and pulling out your paints? That's great.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Callie, Sounds like a great group! I'm looking forward to seeing your landscape painting. I'll be doing the animal one for the challenge next. Not sure when I'll be able to get started on it. I've gessoed the canvas in black gesso for this one. I'll be in Toronto tomorrow and I'll need to do some catch up on work on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday.

Sofie, Thank you... feeling much better. I'm not sure if the snow is here to stay but it looks like it. It's great having my daughter in the same town. She was looking into Colleges and Universities out of town and that would have be tough. I did my best to appear neutral as I didn't want to influence her choices but inside I was hoping she would choose the local University or College.

Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:40 pm

The owner of the coffee shop is a sculptor (and an old hippie ), he encourages groups to get together there. Besides us, there's a knitting group, chess club, some organic gardeners, a creative writing group, poetry readings and live music on the weekends. He also set up a free book exchange/library in the shop, and he's all for local artists putting their works on display.
Janet - Glad your daughter made the right choice
I think that black gesso will be good with that golden fur - could be quite a dramatic painting.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:37 am

Callie, The coffe shop owner sounds very inovative. I wish I had something like that locally. I hope the black gesso works. Crossing my fingers. Off to Toronto I'm going to try to stop in Barrie at Curry's and see if I can pick up some W&N Artisan and thiner.

Have a great day everyone!Smile

Dawn

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:00 am

Good morning everyone hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I painted all day yesterday but unfortunately it was walls instead of canvas, Lol And its been so cold, this will be my first winter here and I can tell its going to be a long one. Oh well I will get used to it.

Callie I wish I lived closer I am about 2 hours from St. Louis, I so am wanting to find people to paint with. After the holidays I will join the arts council and maybe meet other artists who get together like you do. I even have a great studio so I can host a get together just need to meet other artist.

Do the rest of you have a group you get together with ? How does one go about starting a group, I was thinking about putting an ad in the paper but I am not sure that’s a good idea. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:14 pm

Dawn - I just looked up Uniontown, Looks like it's a bit of a drive, but straight down 55. Maybe we could plan a paint-out in the spring - meet at St. Genevieve (historic, great scenery, wineries) if there's ever a weekend that isn't raining
If you were closer, I'm sure we'd be more than willing to take over your studio from time to time!

Our group is an off-shoot from a painting workshop that we all attend every wed. night through the spring/fall semester of the local community college. We didn't want to stop painting together over the summer, so we started painting with the Missouri Plein Air Assoc., but it got way too hot for us - so we had to find an indoor/air conditioned location.

I'd be reluctant to put up invitations for just anyone to come to your studio. It would be better if you could find some other artists through a public group/class, and get to know them first. Are there any framing shops there? You could meet up with the owner/manager and see if he could help you promote a painting group. Where does the arts council meet? If they use a community center or library, maybe there's a bulletin board you could put notice on? I once belonged to an artists' guild that met at the local library (it was in a small town), maybe the council has some space you could use to start your group in?
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Callie - I want that coffee shop in my neighbourhood!!! Smile

Dawn - meeting other artists at the local arts council or at workshops is a good idea. That way you can find people who are interested to get together and paint. You could also check at the local library or community rec centre to find out about artists' groups in your area. Where I live I joined the local chapter of the Federation of Canadian artists and met a lot of other artists and found painting groups that way. I belong to a greoup that paints together on Tuesday evenings - still life at a school in winmter and plein air in summer, and another group that rents a space on Wednesdays where we all get together and paint, then we have two shows a year as well. It's fun to get together and paint with other artists and it is very inspiring and motivating as well.
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:30 pm

Sound like you have a good routine going there, Sofie. I'm definitely not the reclusive artist type - I get a lot more painting done when I'm with other artists.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   

Back to top Go down

General Chat November - December 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next