Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Storm through the Farmlands

Go down 
+5
Janet
kopo
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Dana C
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:00 pm

This certainly does not belong down the drain. It's fantastic! I love the changes you made! Good going! cheers
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 pm

You are so kind....It will be on the back burner for a while and not sure what I will work on next, any ideas?
artist

I have been thinking about doing a rain picture with all the reflections an lights in the rain....just need to find one to do?
Thank you again for your kind words, Dana
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:03 pm

I don't think it is ready for down the drain. You've definitely improved the depth in the painting. The bigger tree on the right feels more in proportion. now if you would make the trees on the left side of the road from larger to smaller as they get futher away, I think it would help you follow the road into the storm. Set it aside for a while and then think about what I suggested. Judy
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Thank you Judy -- that is just what I am going to do, put it on the back burner for not sure how long? Thank you for your imput and the direction I need to go with it....Dana
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:15 pm

You're welcome.

Judy
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 pm

This is a painting worth persevering with. I think you are very near. Two points I would make.
a) As it is in the distance you would not be able to tell the direction of weather, or rainfall, so the purple fall should be downward not angled, and possibly faded a bit more. b) That triangular green field should not be so exact. Otherwise I like it.
Best wishes
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Thank you for your encouragement and for your advice, I just love this forum, so much talent and input on how to help and to be a better painter.

I have it on the back burner for now, as I was and am a little frustrated with it. Thank you for rooting me toward continually to do better and not giving up, although I hope you will tell me when you think it’s not worth working on a painting anymore.

Sincerely,
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 3:21 am

I've been in the depths and actually burned several canvases. But here's a tip which I have used successfully before. Get two bits of cardboard each cut into the shape of an 'L'. Then create a picture window which you can enlarge or make smaller as you wish. Slide the 'window' over the canvas or board and it's quite astonishing to find a section of the painting really looking good. If it's on stretched canvas cut that bit out and stick it on a board. If it's on canvas panel just cut it down to size.
Good luck
Jack thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:10 am

Jack -- that's a great idea, also it will help to see what needs to be done over or changed in some way.....I will make one just to keep on hand, hopefully I will not need to use it often.

Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 Creati12
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 am

I wish you wouldn't give up on this one Dana. I was trying to figure out what was bothering me when I tried blocking off the sky for the land and it hit me - (By the way, the sky is amazing) It looks like two diferent paintings. The sky colours should influence the land colours.

PLease keep at it. I think it is worth it.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:06 am

Dale,

That is a wonderful thought, but not sure if I understand or know how to do that? I understand the concept of what you are saying put just not sure -- about how to get there.

It's sitting behind some other canvas' -- I haven't had the heart to throw it away, not just yet......

Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 pm

[img]Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 Stormy10[/img]

I found this on countrydreaming.etsy.com. I found it had similar colours. The road picks up the purples in the sky along with the yellows and greens in the landscape.

if you try touches of the purple on the same tonal value as where you are placing it, the painting may develop a bit of cohesiveness. just an idea but for me, I have tried to use touches of the same colours throughout a painting to pullit together.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 7:35 pm

I always get inspired by watching the Youtube videos. Jimmy 3dd does a wonderful video called Oct Lane.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Dale,

Thank you for the wonderful information.....I love the time and care you have given me and the encouragement.....My Joy!!!

I am just leaving work already checked out, but love to take a moment to check in on this forum before I get home, as time and busyness pulls at me when I get home....

Thank you again....I look forward to checking those ideas out. Dana
Back to top Go down
mpernack

mpernack

Location Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 6:18 pm

One thing I also learned in my art history class was that colors in the back ground were muted but they typically blue in the back ground, the middle ground tended to be green , and the foreground was brown. It all helped to create an illusion of space and depth. Also backgrounds tend to be kinda greyed out am fuzzy.

I have the same problem you do. If I do not plan out my painting I just tend to start using colors and not think about depth and then everything looks flat. I have always had a nasty habit of choosing a bunch of colors that I like and using them strait out of the tube. I have been forcing myself to use a very limited pallet. My lastest paintings I used Hansa Yellow Medium, Phthalo Blue (red shade), Quincridone Red, and Titanium White. I also sometimes throw in Yellow Ochre ad Burnt Umber because I never like mixing browns. It forces me to combat that whole using the paint right out of the tube.

I have also learned to not use black unless i really need it. I tend to mix my own Chrome black which is basically mixing complementary colors together. I tend to keep my chrome black towards the blue range.
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 EmptyWed May 14, 2014 8:19 pm

To show distance aerial perspective comes into play. The atmosphere dulls and lightens colors. You can notice this if you look to the horizon outside. Otherwise, if your background is bold then it will look like a wall. Don't give up.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Storm through the Farmlands   Storm through the Farmlands - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Storm through the Farmlands
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next