Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?

Go down 
+4
dbclemons
Janet
henrytheartist
judyfilarecki
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Thanks Janet
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm glad the process worked so well. I'm looking forward to seeing the horses when you paint them.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm still trying to figure the postures and number of horse that won't like like Ijust stuck the in as an after thought.
Judy
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Sofie wrote:
I'm glad the process worked so well. I'm looking forward to seeing the horses when you paint them.

I checked out your website and you do a fantastic job with horses. I have some video of yearlings in a field by my sister's house in S. Carolina. I'm going to look at that and grab stills of some that might work in the painting. Taking them from the video will give me the opportunity to get exactly the postures I want. Some were grazing while others were running through the field.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 1:58 am

Hi Judy - you must have me mixed up with someone else because I've never painted a horse in my life. Wink

Grabbing stills from the video sounds like a great idea.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 am

Sorry,
I must have looked at someone else's. I'll have to look at my history and see who it was. I have looked at your website also and like the variety of paintings. I especially like the two Ucluelet tree paintings.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Thanks Judy, I was very happy with those tree paintings too.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Sophie, It was Dawn with all the horse paintings. She says she is going to post some n the reference library. I hope she does,
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:30 pm

I thought it must have been her when I read her post about horse pictures. I hope there will be some you can use.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Judy - thanks for the experiment/info. I've always sprayed fixative over pencil sketches before painting over them. I switched to watercolor pencils a few years ago, and never thought to use fixative on them - Duh!
Back to top Go down
100rabbitts

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Callie and Judy

Thank you both for sharing.
Do you use the spray fixatives that are "Final" - poly acrylic sprays, rather than the "workable" fixatives(work in progress)?

If so, can the poly sprays be used over the dry "workable" fixative - then walnut oil film - then WSO with a tiny amt of walnut oil as the "fat" medium?

Alot of questions..

100rabbitts
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 am

I used the clear poly acrylic, not the fixative. I had it dry for 24 hours and then added the thin film of walnut oil. From there I just applied the WSO in the same layer fashion that I do when working on any canvas. The painting is now 3 years old and has no problem that I can see.

I have used fixative on pastel paintings, but never used the clear acrylic over that because I always framed my pastels after matting them.

The best I can say is to experiment yourself and perhaps be pleasantly surprised.

Judy
Back to top Go down
100rabbitts

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Judy

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'll have to buy some clear poly acrylic
and try it. Letting it dry for 24 hrs is very good.

Your model kitty is adorable.Bkg is beautiful.

100rabbitts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?   Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you use WSO over a watercolor that has fixative on it?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next