Share | 

May 2010 Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Wed May 12, 2010 11:36 am

cheers Wow! Your painting looks terrific! You certainly transitioned successfully to the WSOs. I just love the way you harmonized the colors. Smile

Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 am

You used the came colours as I used, except for the black. It was interesting to see the variation of colour you got. Very nicely executed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Wed May 12, 2010 2:35 pm

I was hoping someone would do this one! Very well done!
I love the range of colors you were able to mix; all the greens, violets and oranges. The lavender reflection on the hand is a nice touch. Moving beyond color - she has very expressive eyes, once again - well done!

Just curious... did you use any mediums with your oils to make them handle more like what you were used to with trad. oils? Don't want to start a discussion about mediums (we already have a thread for that**), just wondering if you've found something that helped you in your transition to the ws oils.

** http://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/water-soluble-oils-f5/what-mediums-if-any-do-you-use-with-ws-oils-t90.htm
Back to top Go down
artistinprogress

Location Location : Castle Acre, United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Wed May 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Well, thank you everyone, is all I can say... thank you very much for your kind comments. I must say, I'm extremely impressed with how the WSOs feel and handle. And having never before limited a palette to the primaries (can you believe it?), this was a very enlightening exercise! I was amazed how readily I achieved the skin tones. My main -- and meager -- experience with portrait painting is the "scientific" method I learned: a large, precise, labor-intensive palette atop a grisaille underpainting. So this was quite liberating.

As for mediums, I used Artisan thinner for the initial lay-in, and Artisan Painting Medium for all the rest. With regular oils, I used Liquin a good deal, but so far, I've decided to wait before trying a fast drying medium.
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 pm

I hope you enjoyed experimenting with the limited palette, you certainly had good results
By the way - feel free to use any of the challenge pictures (previous months or current) as painting references, or even go back and try out some of the other challenges.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Thu May 13, 2010 1:45 pm

I'm finished with this one. I think I improved it somewhat. A few things I discovered is doing Caucasian skin is really really tough and woman are more difficult to try and keep that delicate feel. Please feel free to critique. I'm trying to improve. Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Janet, her skin coloring is very nice! I'm only bothered by one thing - the shadows under her eyes. Keep in mind, I'm looking at a computer screen and not the actual painting, but the shadows (especially on the lighter side of her face) are rather dark. Maybe she just needs a little more sleep
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Thu May 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Thank you Callie for your kind words and help! I see what you mean regarding the shadows under her eyes. I'll come back to it in a couple of days. I need to step away from it in order to see it more objectively. For some reason when I just finish a painting I always have trouble seeing what needs fixing but it helps when someone else can point out what needs to be changed like the shadows under her eyes. The first attempt at this one was horrible but I couldn't see how horrible until I came back to it the next day. Smile

Sofie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Thu May 13, 2010 5:02 pm

your colours are very natural, Janet. I agree with Callie about the eyes, though. You have the 3d form done well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Thu May 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Thank you Sofie! Unfortunately when I have a portrait that is somewhat in profile I have a tendency to do part of it as if it's face forward and other parts in profile. Still more to do form wise. I'm learning a lot about correcting mistakes and how easy it's to do once the painting is either tacky or completely dry. Smile

Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 7:53 am

I did more work on this one. Moved the left eye up, changed the background, tweeked the nose, fixed the shirt and softened the shadows.

artistinprogress

Location Location : Castle Acre, United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 8:10 am

It's looking real good to me. I hadn't noticed the eye on the previous version; it wasn't bothering me, but if it bothered you, it was worth fixing. Definitely like the way you've lightened up the background to bring the figure into greater relief, and lessen the sharp edges. Nice "lost and found" edge on the left cheek (right side of the painting). Lovin' the color scheme: so simple and subtle. This is good stuff, and looking about right at this point; I motion you call it a wrap. ;-)
Back to top Go down
kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 am

I think it has turned out well Janet. Personally I would have liked to have seen some deeper shadows which would have thrown the lighter areas of her face into greater relief. But this is advice coming from a person who has always been nervous about deep shadows.
But! I would hazard a guess that her eyes are too small. Her face comes across as quite fine boned and in such a face I would expect to see larger eyes.
Shucks how to annoy and lose friends.

silent

Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 11:20 am

Thank you artistinprogress! I think I'll take your advice and call it a wrap. Smile

Jack, lol! Not annoying at all and you won't lose me as a cyber friend. I appreciate your help. You're absolutely rite her eyes are bigger. Unfortunately I chose a reference photo where she was squinting... bad idea. Good lesson to learn no more squinty paintings. Smile

I'm sorry I'm a really bad photographer. Some of my uploads had a definite orange cast to them. My husband pointed it out. So this one may look worse but it's more accurate.

Last edited by Janet on Fri May 14, 2010 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 11:42 am

I think your portrait is wonderful, Janet! You made a great improvement to her eyes, and your self-mixed colors are very good. Your work on portraits gets better every day.
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 1:52 pm

The lighter background worked out well. I agree with artistinprogress - call it done!
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Very nice Janet - I like the light background. Her face really works well - I particularly like the nose and lips. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Thank you Dayle! The limited palette is a fantastic way to learn how to get the color you want and really think about how to get their. Smile

Callie I'm glad you like the background it was my husbands idea to change it. He didn't like the hair disappearing in the background. Yay... I'm done. Smile

Thank you Sofie! I have so much trouble with noses... I'm glad you like it. Smile

Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 am

Well so much for being finished. Their was something bothering me but couldn't quite figure out what it was. It ended up being quite a few things. I took Jacks advice and opened her eyes up more, her bottom lip was too big, Her chin wasn't quite rite and most of all her head was the wrong shape. This was several sessions but I didn't want to bother posting it until I had some time to make sure I was satisfied with it. I also took the picture of the painting outside and it certainly makes a big difference. Smile

My daughter Lindsay

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 am

WOW!
Words fail me, especially adjectives.
You now have a PORTRAIT.
This says so much about the person. The piercing eyes of a determined woman, coupled with that strong upper lip. In that small area between upper lip and her nose you have depth and recession.
A work to be proud of.
When do you start giving lessons.?
Jack
the wave
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Mon May 17, 2010 11:20 am

Lovely - it's as if now that her eyes are more open, we can see her more clearly. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Mon May 17, 2010 12:40 pm

She's really come to life, now we can see her eyes. Excellent
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Mon May 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Thank you Jack! Hmmm lessons... What not to do maybe. Still working out how to work in stages. I did learn a lot by sticking to it and making the changes. Smile

Thank you Sofie and Callie! I'm glad you like the eyes. Making them bigger certainly made a big difference. Smile

Thank you all for your support and help through this one! If I would have stopped early in the painting I would have missed out on a great learning experience. Very Happy

Callie

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Mon May 17, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm going to tackle this one soon (Thursday painting group). Still haven't decided which of the red, blue, yellows to go with.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   Mon May 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Wow, Janet!! What a fantastic difference. You really have outdone yourself on this one. A wonderful portrait that tells a lot about who she is. I'm ready to take portrait lessons from you!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May 2010 Challenge   

Back to top Go down

May 2010 Challenge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next