Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oils and humidity

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mes2370

Location Location : Cleveland, OH

oils and humidity Empty
PostSubject: oils and humidity   oils and humidity EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm

1. How well do oils hold up in more humid environments? I ask because when my brother and I repainted my parents bathroom my Mom ask if I would make a painting for her to put there. Not exactly a Gallery show, I know, but it would be more practice for me and something she would enjoy having. But then I wondered about how an oil painting would do in that environment with hot showers being taken in there, etc...

Is this something that is possible or would acrylics be better? Would it be better on canvas or a panel? Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Mark
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

oils and humidity Empty
PostSubject: Re: oils and humidity   oils and humidity EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 10:56 am

Canvas could mildew in a humid environment, boards could warp - as well as get moldy. Plus everything shrinks and swells depending on temperature and humidity. I've seen some "yard art" at a garden shop here that's made to be hung outside. The artist uses acrylics on metal (sealed copper) panels. Aluminum has become a fairly popular painting surface for oils or acrylics.
You should be able to find plenty of info online about surface preparation and priming.
Back to top Go down
mes2370

Location Location : Cleveland, OH

oils and humidity Empty
PostSubject: Re: oils and humidity   oils and humidity EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Callie wrote:
Canvas could mildew in a humid environment, boards could warp - as well as get moldy. Plus everything shrinks and swells depending on temperature and humidity. I've seen some "yard art" at a garden shop here that's made to be hung outside. The artist uses acrylics on metal (sealed copper) panels. Aluminum has become a fairly popular painting surface for oils or acrylics.
You should be able to find plenty of info online about surface preparation and priming.

Thanks Callie. I was worried about canvas, but didn't think about panels warping (I was thinking of using masonite or something). I had assumed Acrylics would be a better option. I will have to look into metal panels to see where I can get them and how to prep them.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

oils and humidity Empty
PostSubject: Re: oils and humidity   oils and humidity EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Try a big hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot. I think if you by a sheet of something, they'll cut it for youoils and humidity Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

oils and humidity Empty
PostSubject: Re: oils and humidity   oils and humidity EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:45 pm

If you used a masonite panal and sealed both sides wouldn't that work to keep out the moisture?
Chantel talked about this in the following link:

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/water-soluble-oils-f5/criteria-for-using-masonite-as-a-support-surface-for-wso-t263.htm
Quote :

- to avoid warping, as well as moisture seeping in and causing your panel to swell right up, you may want to seal the panel. I've done this before, using shellac. You have to get it on both sides, and on the edges. This is a pain to do, and I don't bother with smaller panels as they usually don't warp much, but with a large panel, I'd recommend it. After the shellac, I Gesso the panel (two coats) mixing in a little pumice for texture. Once dry, I sand it down a bit to get rid of ridges. By brushing the gesso on in a perpendicular pattern (horizontally for the first coat, vertically for the second), you get a criss-cross pattern similar to canvas. For smaller panels, I just Gesso them.

You could use acrylics or WS oils then. I think I would opt for acrylics since they would dry faster thus being less susceptible to moisture during the curing time which could be months with the WS oils.

Hope this helps. It would be lighter than metal, I would think.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

oils and humidity Empty
PostSubject: Re: oils and humidity   oils and humidity EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Pricier than the hard ware store - but very nice:

Dibond Deluxe museum grade panels

Dibond is a sturdy archival aluminum
composite material made of two lightweight sheets with a thermal plastic
core. It is coated with polyester paint to prevent oxidation. This
panel line is conservator recommended. These come in our standard 4MM
thickness. Your choice of linen can be mounted on these.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

oils and humidity Empty
PostSubject: Re: oils and humidity   oils and humidity Empty

Back to top Go down

oils and humidity
Page 1 of 1