Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jason - My husband

Go down 
+2
judyfilarecki
Janet
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Decided trying to paint one of my own photos. This was from a photo I took of my husband. I had forgotten how tough figures are. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. My husband likes it but he's not exactly unbiased. 8X10 on canvas. Smile

Jason - My husband Wvs4cw
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Was this one you did with the Lukas Berlin paints? Your borders don't seem as crisp as usual or was tha the intention.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 pm

I don't know how good the resemblance is* Jason - My husband Icon_lol but it works well as a figure painting, he has a natural, relaxed look about him. My only nit-pick is the line where the trees and water meet. The area where he's walking is soft and blends into the water, maybe the back shoreline could be softened some too, or add a few ripples close to where he's walking?

*Based on your portraits, I'd guess it probably is a good likeness of him Jason - My husband 120968
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Judy, yes this one and the Girl with a Pearl Earring were both done with the Lukas Berlin. Same problem in both I couldn't retain definite lines. Everything just bleeding into everything else. Some people might have no problem with it but I have a lot less control with that brand. I find them really oily. Smile

Callie, I'm not sure about resemblance but I did notice hubby has really bad posture. Laughing I see what you mean about the line where the water and trees meet. Thank you for the help! I have no clue about how to do a landscape but I guess the only way to figure it out is to do it. I'm not one to go back and correct but I do take everyone's advice and apply it to the next one. I'm still no sure how much detail I should include in figures but I think he's face could have used something more. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 pm

I know what you mean about going back. If I really want to do the painting, I prefer to start a new one rather than working over something. Interesting about the L. Berlin oils. I have a few colors and find them very soft - thought maybe it was because I'm used to the stiffer bodied W&N.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 am

You're rite Callie the Lukas Berlin are very soft. I prefer a stiffer paint as well. It's much easier to change the consistency to softer if you want with a stiff paint but you can't make a paint stiffer. I work a lot wet in wet so that soft consistency just ends up being a pile of mush. I do like using the Lukas Berlin Titanium White. I was using some colors of the Lukas Berlin with the Holbein and I did find that mush affect happening but never understood what was causing it until I used them on their own. I'm taking them out of my palette completely and sticking to just Holbein. I'm going to be buying several different colors of the Holbein to find a better palette of colors because rite now the only colors that make good complementary colors are Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue that are single pigment colors. All the colors I selected are non-toxic, permanent, single pigment colors. I'm at 37 colors that I'll be buying but it should be a one time purchase just to work out the best colors to keep.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Quote :
Callie, I'm not sure about resemblance but I did notice hubby has really bad posture. Laughing

I hope you didn't tell him that.

I'm enjoying using the Holbiens because they are not so stiff as the WN, but as you said, I can soften them up easily to meet my needs usng the walnut oil. i was going to try some of the Lukas, but changed my mind. I'm very detailed oriented so I need paints that give better control.

Thanks for sharing.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 5:23 pm

My husband doesn't really care about things like posture. This was one of those rare moments where he wasn't working. He's a bit of a workaholic. He also has a great sense of humor and would probably agree and laugh if I pointed out his posture in the photo. He's not one of those self conscience people. Smile

If you like stiff paint I agree the Lukas Berlin is not the way to go. Smile
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Sorry, about the problem with Lukas Berlin WSO. I am used to using a thinner paint and have never liked any of WN because it's too thick for me. You can stand the Lukas paints on their caps and put them out on a folded paper towel to get rid of some of the oil, before you put it on your pallet. Maybe I should try the walnut oil before I get rid of the WN WSO. I'd be happy to buy the Lukas Berlin colors, if you want to get rid of them.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 am

Thank you for the tip on how to handle the oil in the Lukas Berlin paints. It's very kind of you to offer to purchase the Lukas Berlins but I think I'll keep them and use them at my camp. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 pm

I like the soft handling of the painting - it makes it quite meditative. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 1:11 am

Thank you Sofie! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:37 am

Is there a medium like an impasto that you can add to make paint thicker?
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:59 pm

W&N has a ws impasto medium, I would think some of the other brands might have something, too. I have a vague memory of someone posting something about a particular brand of impasto medium or gel - will have to go have a hunt through the threads about mediums.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:49 pm

I do remember seeing the impasto medium which is a great idea. I'm not sure if it might create too much texture but certainly worth a try. I'll pick some up next time I'm at Michaels and give it a test run. Thank you Dale and Callie! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jason - My husband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason - My husband   Jason - My husband Empty

Back to top Go down

Jason - My husband
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: WSO Galleries :: Completed WSO Paintings-
Jump to: