A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Canvas Types and Weights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kbaxterpackwood

avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Canvas Types and Weights   Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 am

What weight of canvas should I be looking to use, that would be considered a pro grade of canvas? Also any arguments on linen over cotton would also be appreciated. I'm about to make a bulk order and I'm not sure which one I should be looking at having bought all of my canvas pre-stretched in the past.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Janet
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2009-11-15
Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:34 am

So far the Frderix Canvas Pad works the best for me and seems to be a great weight which does not curl.

_______________________________________________
Janet
http://janet-coloredpencil.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
dbclemons



Posts : 154
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:28 am

The thread count is the most important factor to consider rather than weight, but that's usually not stated. A 10 ounce double-fill canvas can be tighter and smoother than some 12-15 oz, but typically the 12oz is sold as high end "museum" quality. Some lower grades have fewer threads in one direction (warp/weft) which can make them weaker and stretch unevenly.

Linen is stronger than cotton fiber and the tear strength is higher. Cotton can also have more defects or rougher surface, with a more regular "machine look" weave pattern, but can be easier to stretch and less expensive.
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm

dbclemons wrote:
The thread count is the most important factor to consider rather than weight, but that's usually not stated. A 10 ounce double-fill canvas can be tighter and smoother than some 12-15 oz, but typically the 12oz is sold as high end "museum" quality. Some lower grades have fewer threads in one direction (warp/weft) which can make them weaker and stretch unevenly.

Linen is stronger than cotton fiber and the tear strength is higher. Cotton can also have more defects or rougher surface, with a more regular "machine look" weave pattern, but can be easier to stretch and less expensive.

Thank you David, so if I find a 12 ounce double fill I've hit the motherlode??? I'll check to see what the university is selling, they have three different varieties of canvas, I've bought their 12 ounce before for stitching on but couldn't tell you what the thread count is.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Question Hobby Lobby has rolls of Masters Touch No. 12, 12 ounce I checked, double primed and filled cotton canvas on sale for 40% off the regular price. Problem is I have no idea if this is a good quality canvas, they sure don't know, and I don't know what they mean by "filled". Does anyone here know?

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Dale

avatar

Posts : 573
Join date : 2009-11-17
Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:48 pm

I just buy canvas already stretched and primed at Michaels. Am I missing something by not stretching and priming my own?
Back to top Go down
Callie
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1233
Join date : 2009-11-21
Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Dale - to each his own....
I used to run a framing shop and so had access to all the materials and tools. Thought I'd take advantage of it and make myself a good stash of canvasses. I quickly went back to buying the pre-stretched canvasses. It turned into yet one more thing that was eating into what little free time I had. And, no matter what I had ready to paint on, I always wanted something different; for example - I'd want a square linen and all I had were rectangle canvas - so off to the art supply.... For me, it's less painful financially to buy what I want when I want it, rather than splurging on various rolls of canvas and linen ($$$) trying to cover all my bases. I still have some canvas somewhere in the basement I never got around to stretching - probably mildewed by now.

The other reason I buy pre-stretched is that I don't paint in unusual or very large sizes (lesson learned at the frame shop - custom frames cost more), or care about doing my own priming, so there really wasn't any reason not to let someone else do the prep work so I could get right down to the painting.
Back to top Go down
Dale

avatar

Posts : 573
Join date : 2009-11-17
Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:33 am

I know that some people recommend adding a coat of gesso on the canvas and sanding it. I may try that with my next piece of art - maybe a still life so I have a very smooth surface
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 2685
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 pm

I've both bought pre stretched ones and stretched my own. Sometimes when I want a special size I do my own, but I also make my own frames so the cost isn't really an issue for me (or it wasn't when I was making more frames.)

Judy

_______________________________________________

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
dbclemons



Posts : 154
Join date : 2009-11-16
Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 pm

kbaxterpackwood wrote:
Question Hobby Lobby has rolls of Masters Touch No. 12, 12 ounce I checked, double primed and filled cotton canvas on sale for 40% off the regular price. Problem is I have no idea if this is a good quality canvas, they sure don't know, and I don't know what they mean by "filled". Does anyone here know?

Filled means it has twisted threads to make it stronger and makes a tighter weave. I assume they mean also double filled. Single fill is weaker than double. I can't speak for the quality of the canvas otherwise.
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am

dbclemons wrote:
kbaxterpackwood wrote:
Question Hobby Lobby has rolls of Masters Touch No. 12, 12 ounce I checked, double primed and filled cotton canvas on sale for 40% off the regular price. Problem is I have no idea if this is a good quality canvas, they sure don't know, and I don't know what they mean by "filled". Does anyone here know?

Filled means it has twisted threads to make it stronger and makes a tighter weave. I assume they mean also double filled. Single fill is weaker than double. I can't speak for the quality of the canvas otherwise.

Hi David thank you for that explaination. I finally figured that out last night when I was HL and was looking at the unprimed canvas that it referred to the weave structure. In another life I'm also a spinner and a weaver - mixed media fiber artist. The roll I was looking at was indeed double filled, I'm thinking of purchasing the roll.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
TerryS



Posts : 17
Join date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:04 pm

I bought some oil primed linen canvases from French Canvas in N.J. Very nice to paint on. I don't know anything about filled or double filled. I will have to ask about that. They make them right there. They are stretched really well, not like some I have bought in the art store or through the catalogs and they are not as expensive as the catalogs. Before that I used only Fredrix Portrait smooth which really wasn't smooth enough. I hate priming canvas especially when what I have bought is supposed to be ready to paint on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Canvas Types and Weights   

Back to top Go down
 
Canvas Types and Weights
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» J moore ? J moors oil on canvas
» Star Tree Topper~~~~Plastic Canvas, pdf
» Lead weights for wheels - wtb in SG?
» Different Types of Effects
» Reed types! What do you use?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Painting Discussions :: Water Soluble Oils-
Jump to: