Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dorys - Great photo - where to start

Go down 
+7
kopo
Callie
Dawn
Janet
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Dale
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 9:06 pm

I miss the beached boats Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 Icon_cry they added a sense of distance to the shoreline.
I do love the overcast light and subdued colors Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 9:58 pm

It definitely makes you focus on the Dorys more. I don't miss the boats on the shore at all.

I really like how you are handling the three of them. Everything looks so much brighter and the smaller ones do not compete with the bigger one at all.

Great job.

Judy
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 6:06 am

Just one comment re missing boat on the shore. I think you need something to break that line across the top made by the edge of grass.
Otherwise - great
On to the next adventure
Jack
the wave
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 am

I agree on breaking up the grassline. I think I may build up some rocky area where the original pier may have been.

And a small little boat on the shore may give back the bit of perspective
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 7:22 pm

I like the changes you've made with eliminating the boats on the shore. I'm not sure why but they seemed not to fit with the rest of the painting. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 am

[img]https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/works-in-progress-f7/Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 Dorys_15[/img]

OK. I would still like to include a gull somewhere. And I am determined to start painting brighter pictures. Mine are way too dark!

Looking for final input in this one
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 pm

STOP. You have it. What a fantastic journey and I'm pleased to have been on board.
Best wishes
Jack
No funny faces just plain enjoyment at your outcome.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks Jack. Glad to have it completed. I will leave the birds for another painting.

I will be completely gull-less on this one.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Dale,

It looks great. The detail in the background is just enough and the dorys are terrific. Nice job.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 7:22 am

I love it! cheers
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Ok. I thought I was done but a local artist suggested that I may consider putting some land fog in the background. I find the background very dull and that might do it.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Land fog, living in England, as I do, means you can't see anything. Careful. I would tend to disagree.
good job
Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Land fog... interesting idea! I'm sure you can pull it off beautifully. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 4:39 pm

I just might add a few horizontal streaks for interest sake.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am

I did finally add some fog in this painting and tightened up on some of the detail. i am calling this finished

[img]Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 Dory_s10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 11:08 am

I like both the latest and the previous versions. Hung side-by-side in a gallery and I'm not sure which one I would end up with. Did you change the colors between the versions or is that due to the lighting when taking the photo? Either way, the colors I see are perfect for each of them. Very nice work!
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks Jim. I am happier with this one now. And the difference in colours is due to the lighting
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 pm

This picture is really beautiful. Thanks for showing it Dale.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Interesting how the focus is totally on the dorys now. I'm with Jim, though, I like both versions and am not sure which I prefer. Either way, it...they are great paintings.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dorys - Great photo - where to start
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4