Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Artisans Fast Drying Medium

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

Location Location : Iowa

Artisans Fast Drying Medium Empty
PostSubject: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 2:14 am

Like I stated in another thread I started working with WMO's after a 15 year hiatus from oil painting (traditional oils). So my question is on using the fast drying medium how much per half inch of paint and what should I really expect? Btw I've never used a fast drying medium before.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 am

I haven't tried the Fast Drying Medium yet but many of our members have so they'll probably have more to say on the subject. This is what W&N states regarding their mediums:

"Mediums are additives and as such should be used in modest proportions, just enough to achieve the desired result."
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:15 pm

I don't measure it, but only use just enough to soften the paint a bit so it flows easily on the canvas. I dip the end of the brush in it then drag a little paint away from it's pile (with the same brush), then swish it around til it's the consistency I want. I don't like to mix it directly into my paint piles, since I use the same palette over several days and the quick-dry would set the paint and make it impossible to use the next day.
If you're working alla-prima with lots of big, thick strokes, you would probably have better results from dipping a palette knife in the medium then working that into your paint pile. Just don't get so much in there that the paint becomes more liquid than paint!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:50 pm

I used the WN Quick Drying medium several years ago before it was improved and did not like it. I haven't tried the new improved version.

Callie had suggested using M. Graham's walnut alkyd as a fast drying medium and I really like that. I follow her procedure of just dipping the brush into the alkyd and then pulling out some paint from the pile to mix. I do have a lot of allergies and quit regular oils because of the fumes. The walnut oil works great.

Judy
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:01 pm

judyfilarecki wrote:

Callie had suggested using M. Graham's walnut alkyd as a fast drying medium and I really like that. I follow her procedure of just dipping the brush into the alkyd and then pulling out some paint from the pile to mix. I do have a lot of allergies and quit regular oils because of the fumes. The walnut oil works great.

Judy

I have regular walnut oil for thinning but I'm assuming it wouldn't work the same as M. Graham's? I'm not even sure if I can get M. Graham's locally there is a store here that sells their watercolors and gouache (which I"m dyeing to try) but I'm thinking they don't sell their oils.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 3:31 pm

The M. Graham's Walnut Alkyd is a quick-dry medium - very different from regular walnut oil. There's more info in this thread:

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/water-soluble-oils-f5/what-mediums-if-any-do-you-use-with-ws-oils-t90.htm

Here's a great place to order art materials:

http://www.aswexpress.com/

You could also try Dick Blick or Jerry's Artorama on line. You can request a catalogue if you'd rather order by phone.
I get my paints (Artisans) for more than half-off the local art store price, and the shipping is only $6.99 (at ASW). So better than going to the store anyway! Artisans Fast Drying Medium Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 am

judyfilarecki wrote:
I used the WN Quick Drying medium several years ago before it was improved and did not like it. I haven't tried the new improved version.

Judy

Straight walnut oil probably doesn't work the same does it? I'm new to some of these "alternative" mediums.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 am

Kim - the plain walnut oil will be slow to dry, use it like you would linseed oil. The walnut-alkyd will speed up the drying time. By how much will depend on the colors used and how thick/thin your layers are. I can continue painting within 24 hrs with the walnut-alkyd.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 pm

kbaxterpackwood wrote:

Straight walnut oil probably doesn't work the same does it? I'm new to some of these "alternative" mediums.

Kimberly
I've read of other people using just regular walnut oil instead of M Grahams. I also had the manager of the art store where I teach tell me that the M. Graham representative was there one time and actually used his walnut oil for painting to pour over a salad which he served to the viewers. He said that is how pure his walnut oil is.

If you have regular walnut oil test it out on a small sample. I frequently use a canvas pad paper to test things out. That way if it works, great...if not, nothing is lost but a little paint.

Judy
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm

judyfilarecki wrote:
kbaxterpackwood wrote:

Kimberly
I've read of other people using just regular walnut oil instead of M Grahams. I also had the manager of the art store where I teach tell me that the M. Graham representative was there one time and actually used his walnut oil for painting to pour over a salad which he served to the viewers. He said that is how pure his walnut oil is.

If you have regular walnut oil test it out on a small sample. I frequently use a canvas pad paper to test things out. That way if it works, great...if not, nothing is lost but a little paint.

Judy

NOTE that M. Graham has a Walnut Oil and it also carries a Walnut Alkyd and they ARE NOT THE SAME THING!!! I was at the art store in des moines and they have both in stock, they were adamant that the walnut alkyd was NOT edible! I didn't have a chance to ask the question before the guy helping me was telling me this so apparently the question has come up before. I bought my walnut oil at the healthfood store so I know it's edible.

Question: is M. Graham the only Walnut Alkyd that will work with W&N ws oils?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Thank you for clarify that. I was only talking about walnut oil, not walnut alkyd. They are definitely different and the alkyd is not edible.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 pm

I don't know of any other manufacturers that make the Walnut Alkyd Medium but if their is it would work with Water Soluble Oils. Keep in mind that you can use any medium intended for conventional oils with Water Soluble Oils. Adding mediums intended for conventional oils can make the mixture progressively less water mixable. It appears that the M. Graham Alkyd Medium does not have this problem.
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Has anyone worked with this product yet?
http://www.dickblick.com/products/chroma-archival-oils-fat-medium/

Chroma's archival oils fat medium

Recommended for experienced painters who work all day on the same painting, this syrupy, heavy-bodied liquid medium contains high solids to promote faster, more thorough drying of oils, and increase gloss and flow for enamel-like effects. It can also be added to Lean Medium if a more glossy effect is desired.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Sounds interesting. I like the idea of a glossy, enamel like appearance, but "heavy-bodied" puts me off. I bought some Artisan stand oil a few years ago - only used it once 'cause it was too thick for my liking. But I'd still be curious about this Artisans Fast Drying Medium Icon_question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artisans Fast Drying Medium   Artisans Fast Drying Medium Empty

Back to top Go down

Artisans Fast Drying Medium
Page 1 of 1