Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Winter Scene

Go down 
+2
Callie
Dale
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Winter Scene - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:01 pm

I would like to try some glazing to deepen the water but need to understand the process. Do I glaze the depth in before or after the reflections are accurate? How dry does the painting have to be before I glaze? Then what?
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 9:13 am

Thank you for the clearer picture! It truely is looking like a masterpiece! Smile

I would do the glazing first to deepen the water. The reflections on the water are on the surface of the water and the way I work in layers and I've read is to think of the water from bottom to surface working from bottom to surface of the water. Also the colors in the reflections on the surface will probably contain some lighter values then the underlying water with more opaque colors (thick over thin rule).

I would let the painting to dry enough so if you make a mistake you can fix it by wiping the new paint off.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the advise. I will work in this. Its frustrating to work full time when all you want to do is stay at home and paint. But I read a lot of the Northlight books and love them.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 7:53 pm

[img]https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/works-in-progress-f7/Winter Scene - Page 2 Img_0310[/img]Not feeling well this weekend but did a few hours work on this.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Hope you get feeling better real soon!
The water is looking fantastic! You've got a masterpiece there! Winter Scene - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 10:03 pm

You've done a terrific job on the whole painting. You can feel the thin, icy glaze on the water. I still just want to walk right into the picture. Winter Scene - Page 2 120968 Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:43 pm

I love the icy feeling you've given the water too, and the dry twigs you've added in to the foreground. Your picture has so much depth. Nice work. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:38 am

Dale, I too still get that feeling of being able to take a stroll into your painting! It's so beautiful! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks all. Home from work sick today. Blah.

I have a bit more work to do on the foreground twigs and the front water area. There is a strip of frozen ice near the back edge of the water that really needs to be cooled. The I think this will go to bed.

But if anyone wants to critique, I would be happy to listen. I am not sure I like the front tree. It looks awkward.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 pm

I think the front tree looks good and adds even more depth to the painting. I viewed the icy water in the back as being a less frozen where the slushy water is still flowing because of the curve in the creek. I won't touch either of these.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks Judy. I am excited about this painting. I love it when my kids and husband come in to the studio and voice their approval. Usually they are very ctitical of fault they see - all in a positive way (chuckle)
Dale
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Appreciate their comments.I'm sure they are made out of love and pride.

My husband was always my best critic. When I would stare and stare at a finished painting because there was something nagging me about it, but I couldn't put my finger on it, I would ask him if he saw anything wrong, and he would immediately point out the problem which had eluded me.

It's been 10 years since he passed, and I still miss him and his great ability to constructively critique my painting. His favorite line was to introduce me and proudly tell people that I paint....walls, windows and beautiful paintings. It was always good for a laugh.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:11 pm

So sorry to hear about your husband.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks Dale. The twenty years we were together had the quality of a lifetime.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:37 pm

I have now posted the finished (I think) painting under completed paintings. now named Upham Stream in Winter.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 10:04 pm

I saw the completed one and i will repeat here....It is gorgeous. Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Scene   Winter Scene - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Winter Scene
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2