Share | 

Fallen roses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:09 am

Hi.
Haven't been painting for a while. Preparing house in order to put it on the market. Thought I post an image of a painting I found in the lumber room. I painted it some time ago as an exercise to see if I got the same pleasure as I do when painting the face or figure.
Hope you enjoy it.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:09 am

Jack It's beautiful! The roses look so delicate. The pots form is great and I love the greens you used. Do you remember how you made your greens?

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 am

oh thats just wonderful!
Back to top Go down
kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the kind words Janet. It was a while ago but this one is painted on canvas board, not stretched canvas. This permits me to do my favourite method of colour mixing. I mix on the palette something near to what i want. This would have most likely been Ultramarine, Cadmiuim Yellow Pale, then Pthalo Green Blue shade. Once I've mixed that I then apply it to the surface then start mixing my final colours on the surface. Here I think I would have taken it down using watercolour brushes with one of my favourite mixing colours 'indian Red' very very little cos it's very powerful plus possible Paynes Grey. Then I simply add and mix until I've got the variations I want with possibly a touch of highlighting with Titanium White. Sounds complicated but it gives me a great deal of enjoyment and when it works it's magic.
One artist to whom I talked about this method said it was impossible that I would end up with mud. But I believe that three colours can be mixed without it degenerating. The final colours are really tiny additions.
You may gather from this that I have had no formal training in oil painting.
Jack
Back to top Go down
kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks to you as well Dawn
Jack
Back to top Go down
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am

What a gorgeous painting! Thanks for taking the time to post it and describe your color mixing process. Hope all goes well with the house sale and you can find some more time for painting!
Back to top Go down
kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 am

Hey it's good to hear from you too Callie
Lol
Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Jack, Thank you for sharing your color recipe and explaining your mixing process. Smile

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Janet. For years I tried to follow the 'experts'. And suffered disappointment. Painting for me is about enjoyment. To follow a clinical recipe is not for me. Experimentation is about gaining satisfaction, sometimes disappoiment. And failure is totally down to me. But I have still tried.
Blimey that sounds far too intelligent for me.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Well, I was reading something earlier today about creativity. It said something to the effect of the difference between highly creative people and the not-so-creative is how they handle failure. The creative geniuses don't look at it as failure, rather they see it as a learning opportunity, and build on it. They're not afraid to keep experimenting. So where does that leave these so-called experts that just repeat the same recipes/methods over and over?
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Jack, you're a very wise! I do find being too clinical can kill your creativity and I fall into that trap over and over again. Smile

judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Jack, I love the roses. The color choices and composition are wonderful. As far as experimenting in painting, I tell people every oen of my paintings are an experiment. Some work out how I want them to, and some don't, but I have learned as much from the failures as from the successes.

Thanks for sharing.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 pm

I love the way it fills the canvas
Back to top Go down
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:27 pm

you've really captured the spent blooms. Nice! Smile
Back to top Go down
kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:39 am

Thanks to you, Sofie, hayday, Judy, Janet and Callie. It's good to talk
Back to top Go down
acadianartist

Location Location : Just outside Fredericton, New Brunswick

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Jack, the roses are splendid! You've done a remarkable job, your colours are rich and no, not at all "muddy"!

I think the idea of the "recipe" is thrown out at art classes with the idea that students will get quicker results if they follow a process rather than just jump in any which way. Like chain-production painting. And of course some artists are absolutely convinced that their way is the only way because it works for them and that's fine. But none of the great artists followed recipes or produced great works of art by following a formula. Formulas may sell paintings (kind of like Harlequin romance novels sell out truly good literature), but by no means do they produce original artwork. It is surprising how many "rules" there are in the art world (rule of threes, things in the distance should be cooler in colour while the foreground should be warmer, etc.)! I remember a quote by a great canadian abstract artist, Jean-Paul Riopelle, who painted in really thick knife strokes using tons of paint on huge canvases... everyone though the was a genius for thinking of this, because no one else was doing it at the time. You know what he said about it? "I wouldn't have put on so much paint and laid down so many strokes if I had just gotten the first one right!"

I studied art for years, but got frustrated with it when art ceased to be a pleasure for me because I was being forced to fit in someone else's mold. I switched to another university to pursue literature instead and stopped painting for about 10 years. I'd been painting all my life, but inspiration just dried up. Sound familiar? When I started again, it was just for the pleasure of it. Tips on composition, mixing paint, or anything else, are worth a try, but I just paint the way I want to paint.

And I've also used the method you are talking about. Other artists use it very successfully. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Seems like the key is not to overmix. I am really focussing on getting the values down in my paintings now, not because someone's told me to, but because I've decided this is important to me. So I spend more time mixing on my palette. But I almost always add a touch of colour at the end because colours don't look the same when they're placed next to another colour rather than isolated on the palette. Yes, sometimes I get mud. You certainly don't, judging from this painting!
Back to top Go down
kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:35 am

Thanks Arcadian. I agree that pleasure is an important aspect of painting. Years ago I did several commissions. They were all bad, in my opinion. I felt under pressure and all I wanted to do was to get back to painting something which pleased me.
One of the beauties about painting in oils is the handiness of a rag to wipe the paint off and start again. So, no mud. It may shock the purists but even using the mess on the rag can result in a pleasing effect, useful for underpainting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fallen roses   

Back to top Go down

Fallen roses
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1