Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS

Go down 
+4
Callie
Janet
judyfilarecki
Donna Pierce-Clark
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DesertRambler

DesertRambler

Location Location : Northern Nevada (Reno area)

holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 am

Another question - what kind of palette do you use for your DUO Aquas?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 am

A hardware store is probably the best place to get the glass cut. They do it all the time for windows. I use the glass for my oils and GO, but I do use the sta-wet paper when I use other acrylics.

Here are few links within this forum that may help understanding fat-over-lean.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t6-how-does-the-fat-over-lean-rule-apply?highlight=fat+over+lean

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t574-fast-drying-medium-and-fat-over-lean?highlight=fat+over+lean

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t654-paint-thinner-and-glazing-techniques
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Cindy;

For WSOs I use the Masterson red-covered stay wet palettes.   When I bought them I could get glass inserts (with a white coating on the back side).   I don't remember whether these came with them or were ordered separately.   I can't find them on Dick Blick, so I don't know if they still are available.   I think these were advertised as being a little less fragile than regular glass, but don't really remember.   I do use the sponge with them.   You just have to be careful not to put too much water on the sponge as it can cause the paints to run a bit.   And I also follow Janet's advice and put a penny on the sponge.   It may help lessen mold spots appearing on the sponge and paper covering (that happens with too much water even here in dry Wyoming).   I'm hoping it also brings luck to the artist (like a penny in penny-loafer shoes Very Happy).
Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

DesertRambler

PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks, everyone!

@Judy - I will check out those posts. Thank you!

I have the Sta Wet Pro Palette with a white lid that is designed to be flipped over and used for watercolors. When I first bought the palette, I wasn't sure if I would go the watercolor route or not, so I wanted a dual-purpose palette.

I have overdone the water in the sponge with my regular acrylics a couple of times and seen them run if I don't get back to it the very next day. Sometimes I overdo it because I know it will be a week before I get to paint again, and then I get runny paints instead. I had not heard of the penny idea - I'll give that a try, though I have not yet seen any mold spots even when left for a couple of weeks.

@Jim - Do you use the glass AND the sponge for WSOs? If so, does the sponge go underneath the glass just to provide extra moisture in the palette when it is closed up, rather than the regular way the sponge is used for regular acrylics?

Thank you,
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Yes, the sponge on the inside-bottom of the plastic box, then the white paper "thingy" and the glass on top of that.

When mold has appeared in the top of the sponge and bottom of the paper liner, I remove same and spray lightly with Windex (the old version with ammonia) and let these dry.   Then I wash out the sponge with water to get rid of any remaining Windex before putting it back in the box.   I'm not getting this now -not sure if it's the penny, the weather, or not putting too much water on the sponge.   I'll take it, regardless of the cause!
Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

DesertRambler

PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 1:48 pm

DesertRambler wrote:
Thank you! I'm off to my ONE art store in town to get a couple of the Holbeins!

Actually, I have to order online since the Holbeins are not available at any place locally. I usually like to support the local businesses, but I can't this time.

I wonder how long it will take to get the new paints... Question
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:55 am

That's one thing I find limiting about painting, that is, importing supplies.

I get 'dinged' big time for supplies I bring into Canada. Very costly shipping, brokers fees, and duty. Can you believe I paid $48 in shipping to bring in a bunch of paint brushes from Blick??
Pure silliness.

I also learned a lesson: Don't put your home address as a shipping address. One shipper attempted 3 days in a row to deliver to my home in the middle of the afternoon. (I work)
I had to track down the unlisted depot phone number, and drive out to the industrial park to pick up the parcel after hours. Then pay the duty and so on. grrrr.

So, now I am much less innovative. I pretty much stick to what I can get 'north of 49'.

And thanks for listening Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS   holbiens  golden opens - GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

GOLDEN OPEN ACRYLICS AND HOLBEIN WATER MIXABLE OILS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2