Share | 

January Down the Drain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Well, we made it through the holiday. Now maybe there will be some time to dig up some of those paintings which didn't quite come up to our expectation.

Here one I did several years ago. A Christian Bookstore wanted some desert painting relating to Bible Verses. This one is called "The Wings of Dawn" I liked everything about it except the birds. They look all out of proportion and weird. They were critical the the verse, however.

The funny part was that no one complained about the birds. I did have one person who couldn't understand why the Saguaros were not green. I laughed because this is one of the few paintings I had ever done that I got just slightly abstract about the color. I kidded with people that I had to lock the green away so i wouldn't use it.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 pm

The bird on the left seems a little large, but the others don't bother me.
The composition has me thinking about the Golden Ratio (see thread in the art discussions). I keep seeing a large "V" formed by the clouds spreading out from the sun, yet held between the cacti. I've been obsessing about compositions, lately. So, just to humor me; if you were to paint this again, would you alter the composition - or keep it as is? And Why?

Does that sound like a homework assignment?
Back to top Go down
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Sorry Judy but I really like it! I'm not one to care about realistic color and actually love it when the colors are more vivid and interesting which this one is.

judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks Callie and Janet,

It is the bird to the left bothered me the most, too. As far as composition, I look at the whole painting broken down into thirds. The birds straddle the vertical line of the gold mean and they were supposed to be the focal point because of the name.

Also, the sun draws me in first and sends me to the three cacti on the left and then following the rays, takes me to the birds and then around to the two cacti. I think that kind of follows the golden mean.

When I printed these up as cards, I cut off the right one third and that made a difference in composition. It did nothing for that horrible bird, but when I put the verse the left upper quarter, the focus turned to the verse rather than the birds.

Here is a poor quality picture of the card just so you get the idea. I'm not sure how this fits in, but it worked as a card. When I really look at the card, I feel that everything is pointing up to the verse and secondarily to the birds. I also had someone tell me that the three cacti remind them of the three crosses.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I think the problem with the birds is a problem that happens a lot when one adds things like birds to an image - they almost look appliqued on. It does work much better in the card format. I like the use of different colours - it makes the painting much more interesting.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:55 pm

You are right, Sofie. The problem was that I wanted the birds to feel like they were close by rather than in the distance.....easier said than done. The card was a very good seller with and without the verse, mostly because the tourists like the skies in the desert and the saguaros which are very unique to most of them and to the area

Judy

Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:27 pm

I like the cropped version better, and the colors give a good impression of a desert sunrise.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 pm

The advantages of Digital Copies. It is easier than thrying to cut a stretched canvas in half.

Judy

Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:02 pm

okay - here's the one I'm painting over to do my challenge piece. This summer I was involved in an event called Local Colours, where artists spend 2 days painting on location in the town centre of Courtenay. I was given this location on 5th st, and so I painted the clock. I played with colour, but the subject matter didn't work for me. The sky and the road are too similar in colour, and please don't ask me to paint cars! Wink
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks Sofie,
It's hard when you are put in place where you have limited choices of scenery.
Judy

Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:35 pm

I love the quirky little plant next to the lamp
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 pm

That's a little mugho pine that they trimmed to look like a bonsai. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:34 am

It looks like it would be a difficult one to paint. You did better then I could with this type of subject. Smile

Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 am

I mentioned my mutant painting (girl with six fingers). This is a good example of the creation of mud.

judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Janet, you have definitely made great strides in painting skills since you did this one. I could see how you missed the extra finger. I counted five which is fine except the thumb is in hiding making it six. I'm sure there are some people in the world with six.
Judy

Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Judy, Thank you! Forgetting about the thumb is exactly how this happened. Actually my brother in law was born with six fingers on each hand. It was corrected shortly after birth. It's caused by a genetic mutation. This was my third painting in WSOs I was use to acrylics and found out pretty quick what created mud.

Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 pm

It's good to take a look back and remind ourselves how far we've come and what we've since learned.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Callie, you're so rite. I never throw anything away for that reason. When I get discouraged I look back at my duds and remind myself that at least I'm taking some steps forward. Smile

judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:16 pm

I do the same thing.

I live near the Fredrick Remington Museum in northern NY, and I can remember looking at some of his landscape and thinking to myself how amateurish they were for such a great artist. It turns out that he had never painted landscapes before and these were his first attempts. It gave me hope.

He had been an illustrator for text books years before. I actually remember some of his work in my text books in the 40's and 50's. Later he became a famous sculptor and painter.

Judy

Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 pm

I could see myself making the same mistake. Smile Every painting is a learning experience, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:14 am

Judy, I find it fascinating how artists seem to be more adept at certain subjects. Makes me wonder just how much art is about natural talent or is it more about practice or a combination of natural talent and practice. Smile

Sofie, It certainly is... I'll probably never paint six fingers on a person again. I think that I learn more from my mistakes. Smile

Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:22 am

Chantal brought up a good point regarding "just cause that's what it looked like, doesn't mean you have to paint it that way" which make me think of a painting that I did that I should have changed the composition. The colors are all over the map as well and the people look like they're floating. This one will be worked on some more at some point. I didn't realize it but my husband and several other people pointed out that the woman on the right looks like she's peeing in the pot.

judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:34 am

Hi Janet,

I looked at the painting before I read your discussion. My first reaction was the person on the right looks like he is peeing in the pot. Oops That was the first thing I saw.

I really like the colors and don't feel like they are all over the chart. Except for the fact that you have some lighter color under their feet, especially in the right, they don't feel like they are floating.

Thanks for sharing.
Judy

Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:40 pm

The first person to point it out was my husband and as soon as he did I noticed it. I probably didn't notice it because the can't see the forest for the trees effect. I find other people can pick up on things that I can't see in my own paintings. I think it might be like when you write something it's always best to have someone else edit the work because 9 times out of 10 you'll miss an error that you could have picked up in someone else's work.

Anyway enough babbling. Feel free to have a chuckle because I certainly did. Smile

Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Janet, I once did a painting with the back view of a girl with her hands in her jeans pockets. My brother said she looked like she was peeing in the trees, and he wasn't the only one, even though girls can't pee standing up like that (well unless they want to wet themselves). Eventually I was left with no choice but to paint over the picture that everyone started to refer to as the peeing girl. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January Down the Drain   

Back to top Go down

January Down the Drain
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next