Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ophelia Portrait

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Ophelia Portrait Empty
PostSubject: Ophelia Portrait   Ophelia Portrait EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 4:19 pm

My November Painter club assignment was to paint a portrait of a Shakespearean woman. We were give black and white sketches from classic paintings as reference pictures. This is one of Ophelia.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Ophelia Portrait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ophelia Portrait   Ophelia Portrait EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Part of the lesson was too get some dramatic lighting effects which would make the face stand out more. This was my final version. Ophelia Portrait Opheli10
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Ophelia Portrait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ophelia Portrait   Ophelia Portrait EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 7:14 am

Ooooh, this is so romantic and the skin looks so smooth and glowing. Well done on the hair also. My only crit might be that her neck seems a little thick. Otherwise I think your calling just may be portraits!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Ophelia Portrait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ophelia Portrait   Ophelia Portrait EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Jan.
You pointed out a problem I have been trying to deal with. The original reference picture had the neck feeling very thick. I think that with the shadowing, it was supposed to represent some of the neck and part of the shoulder. Itis a difficult angle. In the one above I added more hair over the edge of the neck to try to take care of the problem, but it apparently still gave the same feel of thickness. In this revised one, I tried to do more shadowing to separate the neck from the shoulder. It helps, I think, but I'm not sure if it completely solves the problem. Oh well, that is why I keep taking classes and put my work up for review so I will learn more. What do you think of this new one?Ophelia Portrait Opheli10
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Ophelia Portrait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ophelia Portrait   Ophelia Portrait EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 7:28 am

Judy, even if you didn't do anything more to it, it would still be a wonderful portrait. Her skin glows and all the colors work well together.

She reminds me somewhat of a Modigliani painting and you might study his women to see how he handles those long necks in his portraits. Other than that, I have no suggestions as portraits certainly aren't my forte!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Ophelia Portrait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ophelia Portrait   Ophelia Portrait EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for all your input, Jan. I'm not one for painting portraits done by other painters, but this was a fun and challenging assignment and definitely a learning experience.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ophelia Portrait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ophelia Portrait   Ophelia Portrait Empty

Back to top Go down

Ophelia Portrait
Page 1 of 1