HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas   Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:46 pm

This is a park in Dallas, Texas. Meant to be loose and painterly. Also "trying" to follow limited value and varying the temperature. But it is hard… and I need to make it a second nature. (sorry for the reflection). All feedback are welcome.

Last edited by ftariqtx on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas   Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas   Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:07 am

I wonder if you're not trying too hard as your work before you started concentrating on your rules was wonderful. I think you already have an intuitive sense about what a painting needs and shouldn't worry so much about whether or not you're following the rules.

That said, this painting is much better than the one of the canyon. Your background trees are great and so are the shadows of the foreground. The light is concentrated in the middle of the painting where your COI is and draws the eye there. I think there could be a bit more contrast in places in that area but that's a personal opinion.

You're a wonderful artist and your own style holds you in very good stead. All of recreating a 3-d plane on a 2-d surface is about light against dark and lost and found edges and no one does that any better than you. I so admire your dedication to learning to be a better painter and think we all should keep learning, but I also think you can trust your own intuition and your own style will shine through.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas   Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks Jan, maybe you are right about trying too hard. But very frankly, I am still searching for that level of mastery where things just flow onto the canvas. I am still scared of a blank canvas. I guess that is a feeling that will never go away... Let's see. Smile

Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas   Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:31 am

ftariqtx wrote:
Thanks Jan, maybe you are right about trying too hard. But very frankly, I am still searching for that level of mastery where things just flow onto the canvas. I am still scared of a blank canvas. I guess that is a feeling that will never go away... Let's see. Smile

Have you seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z79R7p9lrzo
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas   Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:08 am

Love this one too - it seems appropriate for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCTA65qTSvw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas   

Back to top Go down

Painting #118: Park in Dallas, Texas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1