Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Creative Slumps

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Do any of you ever feel sort of let down and in a creative slump for a while after completing a painting? It seems I usually go through spurts of creative energy then sort of collapse after a while with absolutely no inclination to paint whatsoever for quite a while. I know some artists go through this but others paint on a regular basis - how do they paint without inspiration or when they really don't feel like it?

And I almost never like what I've painted after I finish it! I hear other artists saying that they like their paintings - are they lying or trying to encourage themselves or what? Do you generally like what you've done after finishing a painting?

If you do get into these sucky moods, what do you do to get out of them?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Someone in Digital Art Academy just recently asked the same question and one suggestion was to do some Zen tangles which is pretty much like doodling with a pencil and sometimes something develops without intent.

You also have access to digital painting. When I'm stuck I just play with different brushes I haven't used before and see what happens. It is pretty abstract, but it does help to re-focus me back to painting.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks, Judy. I do both of those but it's not helped much in the past. I did force myself to paint yesterday and while it's really awful, at least I painted!

Oh, I guess the thing that helps me the most is to look at reference photos - sometimes something will be so inspiring that I'm almost forced to paint it! That doesn't happen very often though and usually only when I've vegged out for a while anyway!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Taking all these digital painting courses has helped get me through because there are specific assignments to do.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 3:20 pm

He's the results of playing with new brushes I made. This is kind of my version of zen tangles. I like doodling in color.Creative Slumps Spikes10
Back to top Go down
JanG

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 12:01 pm

I like color too and that is beautiful!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Thanks Jan. Hope you're getting inspired again.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Pyschedelic… Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks Faisal.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 8:47 pm

Jan, I usually feel relieved when I finish a painting, almost like I was holding my breath without knowing it. I like to walk away from a painting for awhile when it's finished, and then look at it again a few days or even weeks later. It's THEN that I decide if I really like it. I try not to compare my work to the work of others, as I am still learning and need LOTS more practise.

I approach painting the same way that I look at exercising: sometimes I need to ease my way back into it: I tell myself that I will just work (or work out) for a short while, and I give myself permission to stop at any time. Almost always, once the pressure is off, I actually feel like doing more.

Another thing I do, is to look at work that inspires me. In magazines, on the web, or in person at a gallery. Usually that makes me want to explore my own new work again.
Hope this might help....
Back to top Go down
JanG

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Alan. You must be a poet at heart as your description of the let down after a painting is finished is very descriptive and accurate to what I usually feel. I also like to let a painting sit for a few days to see if it needs something more or to see if it's really finished. The difference between us is that I always compare my work with others and way too often come up short!

Good analogy and advice about painting and exercise! And the idea of looking at other paintings/art follows along with looking at reference photos and would also work for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Creative Slumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Creative Slumps   Creative Slumps Empty

Back to top Go down

Creative Slumps
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussion :: General Chat-
Jump to: