Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Christmas in July

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:20 pm

I've finally carved out some time and energy to work on a Water Soluble Oil painting on canvas; my first in a few years actually.
This one is a night scene along the main street, in winter. I've just started this one, so I'll post updates as I go along.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Christmas in July IMGP0384sm
First, a linear tracing from my photo collage/reference.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:25 pm

Christmas in July IMGP0386sm
Then, after realizing my rookie mistake: I made the linear work in conté the same tone of burnt sienna that I had hoped to paint the wash! oops.
So, I remixed the thinned background wash, to make it green in the upper left ('sky') and yellowy brown in the rest of the piece.
Next stage: start blocking in shapes, and wonder if the brown lines will survive while I do it!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 12:21 am

It will be fun watch your progress.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 6:38 am

So good to see you painting again and can't wait to see it progress.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Christmas in July IMGP0393sm
Here it is as of last night: background roughed in, shown here with the reference image.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Christmas in July IMGP0395sm

Here it is at the end of today's session: I am finding that these days, I only have good mental focus for a couple of hours per day, otherwise I start rushing and not being thorough/deliberate. So, total time in painting is now about 5 hrs.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 6:05 pm

I am finding that these days, I only have good mental focus for a couple of hours per day

Boy, do I hear that! But the time you've spent is well spent! Keep going!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 6:39 pm

WOW! It is really coming along great. I'm so glad you included the reference photo. The whole thing is totally impressive.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks Jan and Judy for your comments. The image is a collage of several photos I took one frigid night in early January, before they took all the lights down along the street. I edited the shots together, and made a composition of it all.
With any luck, I will have a few hours again tomorrow to work on the centre portion of the image.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Christmas in July IMGP0425sm
Here is the image after a few hours work today; I have blurred and softened large areas of the image. The plan is to go back into it, to add sharp detail. Should be fun!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Awesome Alan, It has been a while since you posted last. Coming along great… Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks Faisal! It feels good to be working on canvas again! I'll be back to work on this one sometime this week, as time permits! We are having our (joke:)) 3 weeks of summer now!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Alan, you can borrow some of our texas heat… It was 100 today… expected to get to 104-106 tomorrow
Back to top Go down
JanG

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 5:14 am

Great Alan! And we'll be glad to send you some of our summer too!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Heat? That sounds good, everyone. Where I live, summer is 2 months, trailing off into a warm and beautiful autumn. Typical summer temperatures are in the 80's, with occasional days in the 90's. Nights go to the 60's...
Back to top Go down
JanG

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 10:55 am

Maybe we should have some sort of housing exchange as your weather sounds really good to me right now!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 5:28 pm

I am with Jan on this one... Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 8:29 pm

Christmas in July _MG_3605sm
Here's another look, about 6 hours further in. The photo might be a bit dark: I am trying to compensate for the bright lighting in the studio that day. The next step is to finish the lettering on the vertical sign in the middle of the scene, then add lighting effects from passing cars, reflections, movement etc, to make the image a bit impressionistic; hustle and bustle..
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 5:29 pm

WOW! This is coming along fantastically. Lots of work, but well worth it.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 5:58 pm

WOW, WOW!!!!! This is going to be just stunning!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks Judy and Jan! I have been learning a lot on this one, and nearing completion on it. I hope the client is as enthusiastic as you! Razz
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 9:42 am

Thia is a commissioned work? An even bigger WOW!
Back to top Go down
JanG

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 2:46 pm

I really love hearing that our fellow artists are selling! Congratulations on the commission, Alan!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks Judy and Jan. Yes, this is a commissioned painting; the client had seen the photo montage that I am working with, and approved that. I also submitted a second similar montage image that I might develop into a painting; now that I have learned so much on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Christmas in July Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas in July   Christmas in July Empty

Back to top Go down

Christmas in July
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next