JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   Wed May 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Whoops! Evidently didn't post?
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

Location Location : Moore Park Beach, Queensland, Australia

PostSubject: Miniature Knife Painting   Wed May 06, 2015 4:23 pm

This was done with a small painting knife (approx. 2cm long) on a piece of hardboard/masonite, and is my third landscape and fourth painting. This photo is about the same size as the painting. I had intended to do it with Colour Shapers, which I'd used with oil pastels and liked a lot, but I found that they wouldn't let go of the paint the way the knife did, and were therefore impossible to paint with.

It's a bit mucky and smeared because I dropped something on it. I did the best I could by way of a patch-up job, but it's still smeared. Fortunately, what would ruin a realistic painting utterly can to some extent, with knife painting, get away with being regarded as 'painterly'.

I really like knife painting and also love impasto effects, and this was a lot of fun to do, but I didn't realise when I did this that it was going to take upwards of a year, maybe even two, to dry (apparently). I'll probably try the next one in acrylics.

Regards, Lachlan
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   Thu May 07, 2015 10:57 am

I like this one too. The colors are yummy (I love color!) and I can't tell where it was smeared.

Knife painting is fun and the best part of it is there are no brushes to clean!!!!! As for drying, most artists agree that oil paints don't take as long as what was originally thought to dry. I think they're considered dry when you can push your finger onto the thickest part and it no longer feels mushy or gives any.

I also just saw something by Krylon that's supposed to make your oil paintings dry to the touch within 24 hours by causing them to oxidize quicker.

http://www.krylon.com/products/quick-dry-for-oil-paintings/

I had to check for reviews of it and it definitely seems to do what it says it will do, but I don't think it's been around long enough to know what it will do to the actual painting in the long term. However, it might be a solution for your practice paintings.
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

Location Location : Moore Park Beach, Queensland, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   Fri May 08, 2015 5:36 am

JanG wrote:
I like this one too. The colors are yummy (I love color!) and I can't tell where it was smeared.

Heh! I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing :-) I know what you mean though, the lovely, expressive slap-dashness is what's so seductive about it, and I find that I start out that way, not just with painting but with drawing as well, and then drop back into old habits of control and fiddling with details and losing the looseness, and I have to kick myself. Actually, I remember with this painting that it was difficult to be loose with something this small anyway!

JanG wrote:
Knife painting is fun and the best part of it is there are no brushes to clean!!!!!

Yes, wipe the knife with a kitchen towel and you're finished. Apart from cleaning up the palette, and if I could conquer my distaste of paper palettes, even that could be made easy.

JanG wrote:
As for drying, most artists agree that oil paints don't take as long as what was originally thought to dry. I think they're considered dry when you can push your finger onto the thickest part and it no longer feels mushy or gives any.

Well, this painting was done over a month ago and is still not even touch dry, so I've got a long wait ahead of me.

JanG wrote:
I also just saw something by Krylon that's supposed to make your oil paintings dry to the touch within 24 hours by causing them to oxidize quicker.

Sounds like a lifesaver. I'm going over to look at it now. Thanks for the link.

Lachlan
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   Sat May 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Very impressive. I never could master using knives for painting. You did very well.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   Sat May 09, 2015 9:25 pm

WOW! You're doing fantastic, gairlochan! And Jan, I've never heard of these new Krylon driers. I'll have to take a look at it.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   Sun May 10, 2015 6:34 am

Crystal, I don't think it's all that new but I hadn't heard of it before a few days ago. I saw some posts about it from 2010 (I think it was) but it's evidently not all that widely used or one of us would have heard about it before now. Krylon isn't noted for it's fine art products so I think I'd only use it on practice pieces - who knows what it might do to a painting in the future.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   Sun May 10, 2015 11:26 am

Wow, really nice work! Strong colours and a confident 'knife hand' if I may say so, ha ha

PostSubject: Re: Miniature Knife Painting   

Back to top Go down

Miniature Knife Painting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1