Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Temporary varnish for display purposes?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
nsdeitz

varnish - Temporary varnish for display purposes? Empty
PostSubject: Temporary varnish for display purposes?   varnish - Temporary varnish for display purposes? EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 1:07 am

I just completed a WSO painting that needs to be photographed, framed, and hung in a show two months from now. What product should I use to revive the dull paint and give it that "varnished" look (after the photography is complete) so that it looks its best when hung, yet still allows the paint to oxidize and dry throughout? Will a regular retouch varnish serve this purpose without disturbing the integrity, or is there a WS product that can be used? I'm leery of creating a retouch varnish by mixing WS thinner and WS varnish, as some recommend -- won't the thinner affect the paint layers? All the paint companies tell you to wait at least 6 months before applying a final coat of varnish, which is when I would use the WN WSO Glossy Varnish.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Temporary varnish for display purposes?   varnish - Temporary varnish for display purposes? EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 5:05 am

I used to paint pet portraits and some of my contemporaries were oil painters who used retouch varnish so they could get the portrait to their clients (with instructions to have the painting varnished at the appropriate time). I'm told the retouch varnish does not affect the paint or drying of the painting.

They would also use a process called "oiling out" to even out the sheen and that may be something you would feel most comfortable doing. There are videos on You Tube that show how.

Welcome & congratulations on your show - we'd love to see your paintings here.

Here is one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypCo3QUQk8
Back to top Go down
nsdeitz

PostSubject: Re: Temporary varnish for display purposes?   varnish - Temporary varnish for display purposes? EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the tips. Can you use regular retouch varnish with WSO? I have found that some other regular products such as Gamvar bead on WSO paintings. One more question: I assume that "oiling out" means applying a layer of medium (perhaps the WN WSO Quick-Drying or WSO Regular)? Wouldn't that leave the surface tacky?

I don't exactly have a show, but was commissioned for a portrait that is being unveiled in a gallery. I can't show you that until after the unveiling, but I'll do so then.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Temporary varnish for display purposes?   varnish - Temporary varnish for display purposes? EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 11:58 am

Yes, you can use regular retouch varnish with wso. Water Soluble Oil is regular oil paint modified to mix with water so they actually behave like regular oils once any water has evaporated from them.

Oiling out is using a medium but you use very, very little of it and it dries fairly rapidly. I've done it before and had good results. I used the WS linseed oil on a touch dry painting - the painting must be dry to the touch or you risk pulling up paint layers.

To oil out, take a soft, lint-free cloth (a strip from an old t-shirt works well) and dip it into your linseed oil. Be very frugal with the oil and don't pool it onto your painting. Wipe the oil onto the painting and work it in small circles over the painting paying particular attention to the "sunken" or flat-looking areas.

There should be no areas that are shinier than others as that means you've used too much oil in that area. If you have any such areas, go over them again with a dryer cloth.

It's simple and effective and will not harm your painting as long as the painting is touch dry. Let us know how it works for you if you try it.

Hey, congratulations on being commissioned for a portrait then. Whether a show or an unveiling, you're still getting public exposure and that's all good! Can't wait to see the painting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temporary varnish for display purposes?   varnish - Temporary varnish for display purposes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Temporary varnish for display purposes?
Page 1 of 1